how-to-prepare-the-rolling-mat

The sushi rolling mat is a small mat made of bamboo which is used to roll and squeeze maki sushi into tight rolls. Preparing it will help keep the mat clean, so you don’t have to try to clean all of the rice off of it (which believe me, is quite a pain!)

Preparing the Sushi Rolling Mat
  1. Lay out a piece of plastic wrap twice the length of the bamboo mat. The plastic wrap should be oriented so that the short side is near you. Lay the bamboo mat on the center of the plastic wrap, oriented the little bamboo sticks that make up the mat are parallel to the short end of the plastic wrap. Preparing Rolling Mat
  2. Fold the bottom end of the plastic wrap over the bamboo mat. Preparing Rolling Mat
  3. Fold the top end of the plastic wrap over the bamboo mat, pressing to make sure it sticks to the part that has already been folded over. Preparing Rolling Mat
  4. Fold the corners in little triangles, so they don’t stick out.Preparing Rolling Mat
  5. Fold the two sides in, making sure they stick to the plastic wrap that has already been folded in. Preparing Rolling Mat
  6. Turn over so the folded parts are down, and start rolling your sushi! Preparing Rolling Mat

Comments

1. Theresa says:

This is such a fun site. I’ve only been a sushi partaker for a little less than a year and love it! Thanks for the fun recipes and hints!

Thanks Theresa! I’m glad you like it! Have fun making the sushi!

3. hien says:

layer a drop of oil after you plastic wrap the matt, the rice will not stick to the plastic

Thanks for the tip!

5. Carol says:

I am planning a Chinese New Year coffee hour for my church congregation but am a total novice at rolling sushi. What would be a simple filling for the recipe offered on this site? I’d prefer vegetarian rather than fish to start with.

Hmmm. Are you a vegetarian? Or do you just prefer not to eat fish? None of the recipes up so far use raw fish, and the only other fish is unagi (eel) and imitation crab which is made out of fish, but if you have had California Rolls then you have had it. Some easy but pretty popular ones are Crunchy Shrimp Roll, Tuna Salad Sushi (made with canned tuna salad, not the raw stuff), Kristen Maki, or the Bacon Crunchy Shrimp Roll. If you want more traditional sushi that doesn’t use raw fish, try the Kappa Maki (which is vegetarian) or the California Roll. Hope that helps, and if you need more options feel free to look through the archives! :)

7. Anonymous says:

The mat was delicous

What kind of mat were you using? I want me one of them edible mats! :D

9. Paul Martin says:

I am starting to explore more things japanese. I have always had a love of bonsai plants, so much so that i made a site dedicated to them. I am waiting for a sushi bar to appear in my home town but no luck as yet, might try to make some myself and eat it surrounded by my bonsais!

You should definitely try making sushi at home… it’s cheaper than eating at a sushi bar, and it’s a lot of fun.

11. Liz Boniface says:

Have just started making sushi. Why on earth does someone not make a plastic covered sushi mat??? Surely as most sites suggest plastic wrapping it, it is not such a silly question?
    Regards