Sumeshi, also known as sushi-meshi, is the Japanese term for the sushi rice. Sumeshi is used in sushi, giving it a light but distinct flavor.
Makes 3 cups of sumeshi.
- 1.5 cups uncooked short grain rice
- 1.5 cups water
- 6 tbsp rice vinegar
- 5 tbsp sugar
- Cook the rice, using equal parts rice and water. I use a rice cooker, but you can also cook it on the stove if you don’t have a rice cooker.
- Put the rice vinegar and sugar in a small pot over medium heat.
- Stir until the sugar has melted into the rice vinegar.
- Once the rice is finished cooking, take the rice out of the pot and put it in the hangiri, or a large bowl if you don’t have a hangiri.
- Cool the rice and rice vinegar mix, then slowly pour the rice vinegar mix over the rice, using a cutting motion to mix it into the rice with the rice paddle (Thanks to Will and Jim for their tips!).
- Make sushi!