super-california-roll

You would think that putting unagi on top of a California Roll really isn’t anything too special. I mean come on, it’s just your typical California Roll with some eel on top. You would think. You would be wrong.

This roll is amazing! We first tried it at Honda-Ya when we went there for Son’s birthday, and it is really good! So of course we had to try making it ourselves.

Yum yummy yum! Definitely a new addition to our list of favorites! This isn’t particularly difficult (if you can make a California Roll, you can make this), but it turns out tasting fantastic! I can’t rave enough about this one… you have to try it! :)

Excitement is in the air… think kid waiting for Christmas (or going to Disneyland if you don’t do the whole Christmas thing… if you don’t do Christmas OR Disneyland, I can’t help you.) and you’ll know how I have been the last two weeks. Exciting announcements soon!

• 6 sheets nori
  • 3 cups sumeshi
  • 1 medium avocado
  • 1 cup imitation crab
  • ¼ cup mayonnaise (to taste)
  • 1 package frozen unagi
  2. Cook the unagi as directed on the package.
  3. Cut the unagi into 1-1.5 inch wide by 2.5 inch long slices.
  4. Mix imitation crab and mayonnaise, separating crab pieces and mashing into smaller pieces.
  5. Cut the avocado in half, discarding the pit.
  6. Cut off the hard skin and discard.
  7. Slice the avocado into thin sticks.
  8. Roll the sushi inside out, using imitation crab and avocado as your fillings.
  9. Use your plastic wrap-covered rolling mat to squeeze the unagi into the roll so they won’t fall off.
  10. Carefully cut the roll, trying to keep the toppings from falling off the sushi.
  11. Serve with shoyu, wasabi, and ginger if desired. Enjoy!

Serving Size: 1 roll Super California Roll

• Cholesterol: 207g, 69% DV
  • Sodium: 1166g, 49% DV

Comments

1. Alicia says:

I gotta tell you, I love your sushi recipes.
    I’m pregnant and all I’ve wanted the whole time is sushi, sushi, sushi! If it weren’t for your site I’d be so sick of eating the same rolls again and again.
    Keep it up!!!!

2. Manu says:

Hi,
    We have tried these in a lesson…very nice!
    I will stay away from the mayaonaise and replace it by chives and oignon cream cheese, just add a bit of water with it for the spread, …yumee!!!
    Thanks
    Manu

3. Tiffany says:

This reminds me of what I have been requesting lately at the sushi restaurant I frequent. I request a Dragon roll, but instead of the shrimp tempura I have them make it with a califonia roll, so the eel, avocado, fish roe, and eel sauce are on top of the roll and it tastes great! I kind of call it my California Dragon. Not really original I know :P

4. Karianne says:

Hey Allison. Great new roll and pictures! Making me hungry here… Eel has really become one of my favorite ingredients when making sushi at home. This combination sounds fantastic. Unfortunately the local Japanese supermarket was sold out on eel this week, or else I would have made this for my mums birthday party tomorrow. Thanks!

5. Kristen says:

“Kristen says”
    I’m coming home soon.
    I have been sushi deprived.
    Help me?

Alicia – Thanks! I’m glad we can help… luckily we have all sorts of non-fish rolls, so there’s plenty to choose from!

Manu – That sounds interesting!

Tiffany – Mmm yum! :D

Karianne – Thanks! Yes, eel is definitely a yummy ingredient! Happy belated birthday to your mum!

Kristen – Yes, yes, I know. You’ll get your sushi.

7. . says:

uh if you’re pregnant, it’s a pretty stupid move to be living off sushi

Not if you are eating sushi that doesn’t use fish! Which most of my recipes don’t, so she’s safe. :P

9. Jay Li says:

1 package frozen unagi

How do I remove the bones>? I tried cooking it, but the bones still remained.

10. SavoryTv says:

Great recipe and photo! I love unagi :)

SavoryTv’s last blog post… A simple latin chicken salad video, prepared by Chef Timothy Hughes

11. Las Vegas Nightlife says:

thanks for the recipe. i’ll give it a shot and report back!

Jay – I’ve never found bones in my unagi, so perhaps you’re getting the wrong type? I would assume you could use tweezers or something similar to pull the bones out.

SavoryTV and Vegas Nightlife – Thanks!

13. Mindy says:

mmmmhmm…sounds so good. My current favorite is Hamichi covered california roll. But I will be trying this shortly. Great blog

14. Jill says:

The california roll looks so good I will need to make one soon or find where i can buy some.