We’ve got some loco moco coming up soon, so ya boi Shrimpy is here to show you how to prep the gravy!
Loco Moco Gravy
from Aloha Kitchen
- 1 1/2 tbsp neutral oil
- 3/4 medium maui or yellow onion, sliced into 1/2″ wedges
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tsp shoyu
- 1 1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Add 1 tbsp of the oil to a large skillet set over medium heat. When the oil is hot (shiny and shimmering), add the onion wedges and saute until almost translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Turn the heat to low and continue cooking for 10 minutes, stirring often. Cook until they are soft and caramelized; you should be able to smell the sugar. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1/2 tbsp oil to the pan and heat over medium heat until hot. Add the mushrooms and saute until tender, about 10 minutes. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper, then add the reserved caramelized onions. Add the beef broth, shoyu, and worcestershire sauce and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat to medium-low, scoop out a tablespoon of the broth from the skillet, and whisk it with the cornstarch in a small bowl until smooth. Whisk the cornstarch slurry into the skillet and simmer until the sauce has thickened, 5 to 7 minutes.
Sub to my YouTube channel to get notified whenever we have new videos!
Links in this post may be affiliate posts. If you buy an item through an affiliate link, I get a small fee, which helps support this blog!