Tamago nigiri may not be the fanciest sushi out there, but it can be found at most sushi places.
It’s so easy to make, you could fry up some bacon and eat tamago nigiri for breakfast! (I bet we all know what I’m making for breakfast tomorrow!)
Makes about 5-6 pieces.
- Cook sushi rice.
- Cook the tamago.
- Using either your hands or a rice mold, form the rice into 5 or 6 small oblong balls.
- Cut the tamago into 1/2″ slices.
- Place the piece of tamago on top of the rice ball. You may place a small dab of wasabi on the underside of the tamago if you wish.
- Cut nori into 1 cm wide strips.
- Wrap 1 strip of nori around each piece of nigiri, cutting it to fit. Wrap it tightly enough that the nigiri won’t fall apart, but not so tight as to tear the tamago or cause the rice ball to come apart.
- Serve with shoyu, wasabi, and ginger if desired. Enjoy!