yellowtail-nigiri

I first tried yellowtail sashimi late last year, and it was love at first bite. Now, if you held a gun to my head and forced me to choose (please don’t, by the way) yellowtail would be my sashimi of choice, even over tuna and salmon! It has such light flavor and just melts between your teeth – it’s not chewy at all! There’s nothing not to love about yellowtail!

A little background information about yellowtail: A lot of people think that yellowtail is a type of tuna. This is a huge misconception… Yellowtail is actually a type of Jack Fish, but is also called yellowtail kingfish in Australia and New Zealand. It’s called yellowtail because… you guessed it – it’s tail is yellow! The yellowtail is a super duper powerful swimmer and has a very aerodynamic… er… aquadynamic? (edit: one of my readers, Lodewijk, has informed me it’s actually hydrodynamic :D ) body, shaped like a torpedo. This makes it very fast and a popular game fish. It is one of the top three game fish in Southern California – I’ve even found it at my farmers market! It is generally found in the tropical waters of the Southern Hemisphere and in the northern Pacific. (California, Baja California, Japan!)

• 1 cup sumeshi
  • 1 oz yellowtail sashimi
  2. Using either your hands or a rice mold, form the rice into 5 or 6 small oblong balls.
  3. Cut the yellowtail into slices larger than your rice balls.
  4. Place each slice of yellowtail on top of a rice ball. You may place a small dab of wasabi on the underside of the yellowtail if you wish.
  5. Serve with shoyu, wasabi, and ginger if desired.

Serving Size: 1 piece Yellowtail Nigiri

• Cholesterol: 8mg, 3% DV
  • Sodium: 272mg, 11% DV

No Comments

Yumm! My favorites are white tuna and salmon for its creamy butteriness. White tuna for its salty brininess when you bite into it, but so soft and yielding… and I don’t believe white tuna is actually tuna, but I’m feeling a bit lazy to look it up ;)

:) According to wikipedia, white tuna can refer to two different species of fish, one of which is tuna, and the other which isn’t. :)

lol thanks. I think I first learned it wasn’t really tuna (commonly) on your site, a commenter ages upon ages ago mentioned it. *shrug* If it tastes good, I’ll eat it ;)

Oh hehe. Well then! Glad someone here was of help. :D

5. SushiDay - with lots of new stuff at Sushi or Death says:

[...] Yellowtail Nigiri [...]

6. Sushi or Death » SushiDay - with lots of new stuff says:

[...] Yellowtail Nigiri [...]

7. matt wright says:

I love yellowtail – a really awesome fish for eating raw. Have you tried Kampachi yet? A Hawaiian hamachi that is just amazing raw.

Nope, I’ve never tried Kampachi. I would love to though, it sounds delicious! Can it be found outside of Hawaii? Or do I have to travel there to get some? (What a *huge* sacrifice, having to travel to Hawaii to eat sashimi! ;) )

9. SavoryTv says:

Thanks for the post! Yellowtail is my favorite as well, the texture to die for :)

SavoryTv’s last blog post… A simple latin chicken salad video, prepared by Chef Timothy Hughes

10. micael says:

HOw DO U MAke something so good

SavoryTV – You’re welcome, and I agree – yellowtail is quite delicious.

12. Apex Professionals LLC says:

Personally my favorite is tako(octopus). Yellow tail is usually on the list of things I order as well though. As far as the confusion about the tuna thing.. you mentioned its actually in the jack family? Isn’t skip jack a type of tuna? Could be where the confusion is coming from. Thanks for the read :)

Apex Professionals LLC’s last blog post… RCI Points Demystified

Very true, skipjack is a type of tuna so that could definitely be the cause of all the confusion. Thanks for bringing that up. :)

14. Randy Cannon says:

Kampachi is available throught his company. It is sushi grade and 9.50 per pound.

15. katehudson says:

As a Newbie, I am always searching for articles that can help me. Thank you.

16. Bill Mangrum says:

I’m traveling to hawaii soon and this post was great for me. Love me some sushi!

17. Raymond says:

I would put a gun to your head if you said otherwise. Just kidding..or am I.. no really though, I agree with you 100%. Yellowtail is in a league of its own. Tuna is like rare steak, salmon is like soft butter, but yellowtail.. is like soft buttery rare steak haha. When someone asks for a recommendation on fish, I always answer with yellow tail. Yellowtail nigiri with just a bit of scallions on top. Delish!

Love your posts and vibrant pictures. You can count on me to stay tuned.

Raymond

18. ResponsibleFish says:

It’s best to avoid yellowtail if you care at all about the environment.

19. Yellowtail butterful | Janeltaylor says:

[...] Yellowtail Nigiri – Sushi Day – Sushiday.comI first tried yellowtail sashimi late last year, and it was love at first bite. Now, if you held a gun to my head and forced me to choose (please don’t, by the way) yellowtail would be my sashimi of choice, even over tuna and salmon! [...]

20. SushiNut says:

When you go to a sushi restaurant, be careful to distinguish between Buri and Hamachi. Buri is wild Yellowtail, while Hamachi is farmed Japanese Yellowtail. Both are yellowtail, but they have extremely different flavor profiles and texture. I personally prefer the Hamachi.