tamago-nigiri

So now that you have read the last post (you have, right?), here’s something you can do with the tamago! Tamago nigiri may not be the fanciest sushi out there, but it can be found at most sushi places. It’s so easy to make, you could fry up some bacon and eat tamago nigiri for breakfast! (I bet we all know what I’m making for breakfast tomorrow!)

Makes about 5-6 pieces.

2. Cook the tamago.
  3. Using either your hands or a rice mold, form the rice into 5 or 6 small oblong balls.IMG_0663IMG_0889
  4. Cut the tamago into 1.5�? x 2.5�? pieces.IMG_0892IMG_0893
  5. Place the piece of tamago on top of the rice ball. You may place a small dab of wasabi on the underside of the tamago if you wish.IMG_0895
  6. Cut nori into 1 cm wide strips.IMG_0898
  7. Wrap 1 strip of nori around each piece of nigiri, cutting it to fit. Wrap it tightly enough that the nigiri won’t fall apart, but not so tight as to tear the tamago or cause the rice ball to come apart.IMG_0899IMG_0900IMG_0901
  8. Serve with shoyu, wasabi, and ginger if desired. Enjoy!

Serving Size: 1 piece

• Calories:67
  • Saturated Fat: .5g, 3% DV
  • Cholesterol: 70mg, 23% DV
  • Sodium: 221mg 9% DV

Comments

1. Andrew says:

Wow, breakfest sushi! ;) Sounds very good. I may have to whip up a batch after turkey day for a little change from the ol’ meat and veggies.

YUMMY!!! I used to love tamago. Now I’m more so so on it but it is still good!

3. Greg B says:

I’ll be cooking this up over the weekend as well. Sad to say my sumeshi wasnt good when made with Minute Rice. Looks like I’ll have to buy sushi rice.

Andrew – Yay! Sounds like a good plan. Have a fun post-turkey day breakfast!
    Yvo:) Tamago is so yummy!
    Greg – I’m sorry to hear that your Minute Rice sumeshi didn’t turn out so well… hopefully you will have better luck with the sushi rice!

5. Andrew says:

Well, I ended up making this a bit eariler than planned, but it was still wonderful! Although I messed up the batch of sumeshi because I accidentally used white vinegar instead of rice vinegar and due to time I had to make the next batch plain. :P But the tamago turned out pretty well, though I may need to reduce the amount of sugar I put in it. Very fun to make though! I think I’ll try the New Zealand roll next. :D

6. Nick says:

This was my first sushi as a kid. Cause it’s sweet and non fishy. Still a favorite. Though I haven’t had tamago in a while … think I’ll go break into Umezono and eat a block of it.

Andrew – I’m glad you liked it (although hopefully next time your sumeshi turns out better! :) ) Good luck with the New Zealand Roll!

Nick – I agree… I love tamago (even though I don’t make it correctly *blush*)! I always have to make sure I leave enough uneaten to make the sushi with!

8. Sashimitachi says:

Just a thanks for your recipe!
    Tomorrow we’ll be making this for the guests at my birthday party~
    Making test ones t’night. Thanks again =)

No problem! Hope it turned out well! Let me know!

10. Amanda says:

I’m really glad I found your site, and especially this recipe. In an attemt to eat a little healthier I have decided to start making myself bento lunches, and was trying to get my mom to try them to, but you can’t give her anything too scary. I think she’ll like this recipe, and I know I will.

11. Emily says:

I found your website(s) a few weeks ago looking for a tamago recipe. This is beyond delicious. I’ve made it at least once a week since finding it, and my bf loves it too. Thanks!

Amanda – This is the type of sushi that just about everyone will like – it’s little more than a simple egg omelet with rice! :)

Emily – I’m so glad to hear that you and your bf both love it.

13. Score!!! More smiles! « ALTERNATE-REALITY.NET says:

[...] Gaijin sushi though, is of an entirely other dimension: too big too eat in one go. I made some tamago nigiri last night… don’t [...]

14. Emily says:

I love to try to make these. but I can’t fund the Nori in an supermarkets.

15. ADa says:

I just made some this evening and it is delicious!

16. Sushi Stu says:

making the tamago is a bit of a pain and hard to get right sometimes I just buy the sweetend block of tamago from my local shop.

Emily – Try an Asian supermarket or the Asian section in your grocery store. If you still can’t find it, there are lots of places online that have it, or you can order some from our store. :)

ADa – I’m glad to hear it! :)

Stu – That’s definitely a good possibility, for those who don’t want to make tamago at home and have access to a shop that sells it.

18. gypsykid says:

can you make this without sugar? will it taste good savory. i just dont like my eggs sweet.

19. gypsykid says:

20. Erwin says:

I admit that I watched a coulpe of roll-making videos on You Tube after my first mostly failed attempt, and it made attempt #2 more successful. I don’t have a lot of experience with quinoa, but I wound think ti’s dry and doesn’t have the gooey texture that makes the sticky rice so successful. It would be work playing with more.