Question: “what’s your main dish for breakfast?”
I LOVE breakfast foods. If it’s a breakfast food, pretty much guaranteed I’m into it. If I go to a restaurant and there’s a breakfast menu, there’s a pretty good chance I’m ordering off of it, even if it’s dinnertime.
But when we’re talking about normal, everyday breakfasts, I’m a little pickier.
As much as I love pancakes and waffles and doughnuts and french toast and all sweet breakfast foods, I can’t eat them as breakfast. I’ll happily eat them for dessert, but if they’re the first thing I eat in the morning I’ll get a headache or indigestion. And even with cereal, I tend to get hungry again pretty quickly if I only eat sweet foods for breakfast.
A few months ago, I posted a video of breakfast “tacos” with eggs and spinach and such. That, for a very long time, was what I ate every single day for breakfast. It’s filling, it’s satisfying, it gets me a few veggies first thing in the morning.
These days, since I’m cooking so much for TikTok and YouTube, I’m tending to eat leftovers for breakfast more often – we definitely ate sweet and sour chicken for breakfast a few days ago.
But if I don’t have any leftovers and need something to eat, I’ve been making this breakfast sandwich a lot lately: a buttered english muffin with beets, sausage, frico eggs, and arugula.
It’s tasty, it’s filling, it’s got some veggies, and it is a very, very good breakfast.
- breakfast sausage
- small handful of shredded cheese
- 1 large egg
- english muffin or 1 slice of bread
- unsalted butter
- 1 cooked beet, sliced
- small handful of arugula
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the breakfast sausage until cooked through and browned on both sides. Set aside.
- Add the cheese in a mound to the skillet, and let melt. Crack egg over cheese, trying to center the yolk over the melted cheese. Cook until the white is set.
- Lightly toast the english muffin or bread, then butter while still hot.
- Make the sandwich with the sliced beets, frico egg, sausage, and arugula.
Links in this post may be affiliate posts. If you buy an item through an affiliate link, I get a small fee, which helps support this blog!