People always make assumptions about judgments I might make because I cook a lot.
But the thing is, I will never ever shame somebody who cooks from a box mix, because growing up that’s what we did.
We always always had a box of Bisquick in the pantry, and you knew it was going to be a good day when there was one of those boxes of blueberry muffin mix with those teeny tiny dried blueberries. Oh, those were so good.
And up until adulthood, the only cornbread I had ever had was the kind that came from a box.
But oh my gosh, I loved that cornbread.
So yes, I will never ever shame somebody, because even though I may not cook from boxes very much anymore, there’s nothing wrong with that kind of convenience!
This cornbread is specifically for this cornbread stuffing/dressing recipe, so it’s not quite the kind of cornbread you might want as a side dish to eat by itself, or with a pat of butter and drizzle of honey.
But of course I couldn’t help but sneak a cube (or few), and it’s still pretty tasty!
Buttermilk Cornbread for Stuffing
from Bon Appetit
- nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups medium-grind cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, slightly cooled
- Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly coat a 13×9″ baking dish with nonstick spray. Whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Whisk eggs, buttermilk, and butter in a medium bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in egg mixture; stir into dry ingredients with a wooden spoon until combined. Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top.
- Bake cornbread, rotating dish halfway through, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 20–25 minutes. Let cornbread cool slightly in dish, then cut crosswise into 4 large pieces. Transfer to a wire rack with a large spatula and let cool completely.
- Do Ahead: Cornbread can be baked 2 days ahead. Store tightly wrapped at room temperature.
Links in this post may be affiliate posts. If you buy an item through an affiliate link, I get a small fee, which helps support this blog!