It’s October, which means Oktoberfest! (At least, it was when we recorded this video – Oktoberfest actually started in late September, and ended two days ago!)
Regardless of timing, Oktoberfest means beer… which seems a bit difficult to put in sushi. So we’re going with the next best thing – currywurst!
So how did currywurst work in sushi? You’ll have to watch the video to find out! But let’s just say… definitely not in my top 5.
You may have also noticed a new tool in the sushi kitchen! I got a plastic rolling mat from Daiso a few weeks ago, and this was my first chance to try it out.
I like it so far – it’s easy to clean, I don’t have to waste plastic every time I roll sushi, and it seems to work as well as a bamboo mat. However, I’m still holding off on passing judgement – gotta see how it holds up to weeks and months of sushi-making before I can officially recommend it!
Today’s Question of the Day: What is your favorite kind of beer?
Currywurst recipe from The Kitchen Maus
Makes 1 roll
- 1 sheet nori
- 1/2 cup sumeshi
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/16 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp beef broth
- 1/2 tbsp water
- 1 bratwurst
- 1/4 cup saeurkraut
- Cook sushi rice.
- Put the ketchup in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until ketchup is warmed through.
- Add the baking soda, stirring constantly. It will foam, then subside. Keep stirring until it looks like normal ketchup again.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the remaining spices, then the worcestershire sauce, broth, and water. Simmer 10 minutes, until sauce thickens.
- Pan-fry the bratwurst over medium heat until browned on all sides. Add 1/8 cup of water and cover the pan. Let cook another 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan, and slice the bratwurst into quarters, lengthwise.
- With a bamboo rolling mat (or a plastic rolling mat, as seen in the video!), roll the sushi inside-out, using the bratwurst and saeurkraut as your fillings.
- Slice the sushi, top with the curry sauce, and enjoy!
Sub to my YouTube channel to get notified whenever we have new videos!
Links in this post may be affiliate posts. If you buy an item through an affiliate link, I get a small fee, which helps support this blog!