salmon poke

A few months ago, a new restaurant opened in Redondo Beach that serves nothing but poke. We’re kind of addicted. (We like the California Roll poke the best.)

Jus' Poke

A few weeks ago, Son and I went on a business trip/vacation to Europe, which was tons of fun, exhausting, and left us craving Asian food like crazy. (Check out my Instagram for lots of pictures from the trip, and keep an eye on the Fridgg blog for writeups about everywhere we went, as soon as Son has time to process some of the thousands of pictures he took!) (We totally have been binging on Thai, Chinese, and Japanese food since we’ve gotten back.)

Flying to Europe

A few days ago, one of the awesome people I met at Big Traveling Potluck this year blogged about ahi poke. Yummm….

And then, Saturday night, after a long day full of lots of eating, Son and I were standing in front of the fish counter in Whole Foods at closing time, trying to figure out what I should cook for the next week. “Figure out what you want,” I told Son with a yawn, as I gently pushed him towards the big slabs of fish.

“Hmmm, maybe salmon…” he hemmed and hawed.

“All the salmon is sashimi grade,” offered the man behind the counter, with a smile. “You could make poke…”

“Ooooh!” Son and I both perked up at the idea. “We could get a couple of pounds of salmon, and make half into poke, and cook the other half…”

So we bought the fish, and the next day, used Samantha’s ahi poke recipe (substituting the salmon for the ahi tuna, of course), and made half of the salmon into poke. And then made the other half of the salmon into poke, because it was too delicious not to. :D

salmon poke

Recipe slightly adapted from Samantha of Little Ferraro Kitchen

• 1 lb sashimi-grade salmon, cut into cubes
  • 3 tbsp shoyu
  • 2 stalks of green onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 tbsp sesame seeds
  • 1 tsp sea salt (optional – Son thought it was a little too salty, but I liked it with the sea salt, so add to taste)
  1. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
  2. Enjoy!

Comments

1. Caroline @ Shrinking Single says:

This looks so delicious and so easy to make. I am always a bit nervous though about getting fish of a high enough quality and freshness. Do you just rely on a good fishmonger or are there things you look for in the fish?

2. A_Boleyn says:

This dish looks so tasty if you can get good quality fresh raw fish. And the recipe is so simple. I almost made it with some sushi grade tuna I bought a while ago, but then ended up sticking it in hand rolls. Maybe next time. :)

Caroline – Thanks! I’ve had good success buying sashimi from Japanese supermarkets and Whole Foods (they’ll tell you which of their fish is sashimi-grade – when I asked, the man behind the counter said the salmon and tuna that they had was sashimi-grade). Definitely eat it within a couple of days of buying it (otherwise, cook the fish) and keep it well-refrigerated, and if it smells or looks off, I wouldn’t eat it raw. Does that help? :)

A_Boleyn – It’s so darn easy, it’s probably going to become our go-to way of preparing fish. :D

4. Samantha @FerraroKitchen says:

Ahhh so glad we met!!! Let’s get together sometime??? So funny, I was also thinking about doing salmon poke as well!! I love salmon!

Samantha – Me too! Yes, let’s definitely get together one of these days. You totally should do a salmon poke, it’s so good and I’d love to see what you do with it. :D

6. Nadia says:

Looks delicious! Can this recipe be used with other types of fish as well?

Nadia – Yes! Samantha’s original recipe used ahi tuna, and I’m sure other types of sashimi-grade fish would taste great in this recipe too. :)

8. kristine says:

The dish looks really appetizing and easy to prepare! I’m thinking of giving it a try. Thank you for sharing!

9. Tokyoyo says:

Oh, this is complete news to me! It looks a bit like ceviche. I love salmon, it’s so easy to get good salmon here in Sweden, so I’ll definitely try to make this!

10. roggbrown says:

It’s My first time knowing this recipe.. and it looks so irresistible and so delicious, I guess I must try this!