My family was never much of an outdoorsy type of family. Never once did we go camping, although we did often go hiking on a local trail. I did get some camping experience with my girl scout troop, but I would still consider myself far more of an indoors, city girl than someone who embraces the wild outdoors.

So I’m always in awe of those who are outdoorsy. Those who go rock climbing, or camping in the wilderness, or whitewater rafting, or even just fishing on a serene lake. Heck, I’ve only fished once in my life – on the bank of a man-made lake in Arizona, for catfish. We didn’t catch a thing.

So for all you hardcore outdoorsy people out there, this roll’s for you. This roll is fantastic – it’s surprisingly amazing how well smoked salmon and honey mustard complement each other, and the cucumber is a nice cool addition to the roll as well. Smoked salmon and honey mustard may be my favorite new combination (not just for sushi… I’ve put it in spring rolls and sandwiches as well).

And for now… I’ll live vicariously through my friend Friar’s fishing adventures.

• 6 sheets nori
  • 3 cups sumeshi
  • 6 oz smoked salmon
  • 1/2 small cucumber
  • 1/2 cup honey mustard
  2. Slice the cucumber in half lengthwise, and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds.
  3. Slice the cucumber into long, thin strips.
  4. Roll the sushi inside-out, using some smoked salmon, a strip of cucumber, and some honey mustard as your fillings.

Serving Size: 1 roll Fisherman’s Roll

• Cholesterol: 20mg, 7% DV
  • Sodium: 1253mg, 52% DV

Comments

1. Bamboo Forest - PunIntended says:

Being hungry as I am right now… those sure do look good! They’d look good even if I wasn’t hungry.

Bamboo Forest – PunIntended’s last blog post… Thought of the Day

Thanks! Heh… now go get yourself some food. 😉

3. Rebekah says:

That looks soooo good! For some reason it is making me think of trying a pickled herring roll. 🙂 I could call it the IKEA roll.

4. Janice Cartier says:

Oooh these look SOOOO good…smoked salmon and honey mustard? I can’t wait to try it. 😉

Yum and crunchy at the same time.

Rebekah – Oooh, that sounds interesting. 🙂

Janice – Very, very good. When you try it, let me know how you like it!

6. Friar says:

Oh, living vicariously through me might not be all you think it’s cracked up to be.

You don’t hear about the many MANY times I go fishing, get skunked, and get eaten alive by bugs. 😀

Heh… that’s why I live vicariously through your stories… rather than going fishing myself. 😉

8. LaraQ says:

I’m not a fan of sweet/meat/fish combos but the smoked salmon inspired me to finally make a Philadelphia roll for lunch. I added some masago (capelin caviar) to the cream cheese. Tasty but I think I overdosed on salt as I also make a breakfast roll (bacon, tamago and avocado) and a tempura shrimp/avocado roll. There are 2 rolls left in my fridge for supper.

9. michell says:

This site is so incredibly beautiful! The photographs are very well done, and since I’m the type of person that only buys cookbooks if they have big, glossy pictures of each dish, this site is perfect for me! I’m heading off to the market today, and I’ll be sure to pick up some smoked salmon while I’m there! I make my own honey mustard sauce since I’m not too fond of bottled dressings. Thanks for the recipe…I’m sure I’ll be back for more =)

10. Raymond says:

Honey mustard! … GENIUS!! jesus…reading this just broadened up my view on sauces for sushi. at the restaurant i work at we only use spicy, eel, mayo and wasabi mayo, and ginger sauce. All traditional. I was thinking how to break away from traditional but still hold some roots. But honey mustard man….i think i can create some bomb diggity rolls w/ honey mustard