Sometimes I think we, as humans, overcomplicate things. We pack our schedules to the gills, we insist on cutting-edge technology for the most mundane tasks, and we are constantly going, going, going. Rarely do we stop and smell the roses, and appreciate the simpler things in life.

It’s amazing how some of the best things are actually the simplest of all. For example, this sushi. Goodness knows I’ve made some ridiculously complicated (though very tasty) rolls in the past couple of years that I’ve been blogging. But recently, I was reminded that sometimes, simpler is better. Who knew that the simple, almost boring combination of tuna and avocado could be so… non-boring? Exciting, even. Heck, you can get rid of the wasabi mayonnaise, and even the sesame seeds… but you must try the avocado. And. Tuna. So simple, and yet so darned addictive… never would I have dreamed that such a simple combination can be so amazing.

• 6 sheets nori
  • 3 cups sumeshi
  • 6 oz sashimi-grade tuna
  • 1 large avocado
  • 1/4 c mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp wasabi
  • 1/8 c black sesame seeds
  2. Slice the tuna into 1 cm square sticks.
  3. Cut the avocado in half, discarding the pit.
  4. Use a large spoon to scoop the avocado out of the hard skin, being careful to keep the avocado half as whole as possible.
  5. Slice the avocado into slices.
  6. Mix the mayonnaise and wasabi.
  7. Roll the sushi inside-out, using some tuna and avocado as your fillings.
  8. Drizzle the sushi with wasabi mayonnaise, then sprinkle with black sesame seeds.
  9. Enjoy!

Serving Size: 1 roll Kyoto Roll

• Cholesterol: 12mg, 4% DV
  • Sodium: 577mg, 24% DV

Comments

1. Friar says:

Thanks for the recipe. Though I hate to spend time in the kitchen. There’s no way I’d ever have the patience to make my own sushi from scratch.

Though if someone did make it for me, I’d be the first to gobble it up.

Now you got me craving it again..I might have to make a special trip to that “All you can eat” sushi place soon.

2. mkia says:

I was wondering, why is this called the Kyoto Roll?

3. Roderic says:

Though one of the simplest sushi recipes, it is indeed one of the best.

Good call reminding everyone that simplicity can be amazingly delicious.

4. Karen Swim says:

Part of the fun of reading your blog (besides drooling) is the way you invite us into the process. I follow along and can see myself making my own sushi. Of course I then just run out and buy it but it always tastes better after my little fantasy courtesy of Sushi Day! :-)

5. Kathy says:

Is there any way to keep leftover rolls from going bad? So far my efforts to keep one or two for tomorrow result in inedible nori and crunchy rice. Thanks for your awesome blog… it has certainly inspired some more adventurous sushi rolling! Take care.

6. Dandruff Danny says:

All your photos are absolutely scrumptious. You really need to get into professional food photography (if you’re not already).

7. krizma says:

looks so tempting~

8. jenny says:

now these look delicious-

Friar – Heh, so am I going to have to go visit you someday so I can make you all these sushi rolls, since you’ll probably never actually make them yourself? ;)

mkia – That’s an excellent question, and… I have no idea. No clue whatsoever.

Roderic – I agree, I was amazed at how incredible this simple roll is.

Karen – Hehe, thanks! Maybe one of these days I can actually convince you to make it yourself, and you’ll see how easy it is. :D

Kathy – I never have a problem eating leftover rolls the next day (though we do always try to eat the rolls with sashimi the day they’re made.) Try adding extra water when you cook the rice – that might be why the rice is becoming crunchy.

Danny – We’re not, but thank you!

krizma and jenny – Thanks. :)

10. Elizabeth Kaylene says:

Mmmn, now I have to get some sushi! There’s a little restaurant in my mall’s food court that makes some really good sushi. Most malls I have been to have it pre-made sitting in little coolers (blegh), but this place actually makes it to order.

I was starving a few minutes ago and now I’m drooling! Hurry lunch time, hurry!

Elizabeth Kaylene’s last blog post… Yes, I am this lazy

11. Meg says:

I just found your blog and absolutely LOVE it! This is one of my favorite rolls ever– there’s something about tuna and avocado that you just can’t go wrong with! Can’t wait to have my own kitchen again so I can start trying some of the others, too.

PS– amazing photography!

12. Katherine says:

I went to my first sushi-making class last night, and it was a blast! I’ve been searching the internet for recipes all morning, and your site looks like a one-stop shop for all my sushi needs. I can’t wait to put my new skills to the test with some of your recipes! Thanks!

13. New Year’s Sushi Craziness! - Sushi Day - Sushiday.com says:

[…] hours and 27 rolls of sushi, a successfully-cooked pot of kuromame, and a bowl of New Year’s ozoni later, we were ready […]

14. New Year’s Sushi Craziness! | blog3 says:

15. Catalinaa says:

Inside-Out Spicy Scallop and CrabThis is a twist to the regular spicy sclloap recipe you’d find in a Japanese sushi restaurant. If you like crab and tobiko, this recipe is for you. You get the kick of the sclloap with the sweetness of the crab. Yum!Yields: 4 rolls – 32 piecesTotal Rolling Time: about 10 minutes per roll 40 minutes totalIngredients:• 1/3 pound of sashimi grade sclloaps• 2 T tobiko (flying fish roe)• 4 sheets of nori• 3 4 C of sushi rice• be 1 C of crab or kani kama (imitation crab)• 1 avocado• bd of a cucumber• 3 T of toasted sesame seeds (more or less to taste)• 3 T of spicy mayonnaise (or to taste)• Soy sauce & pickled ginger to be served for accompanimentSteps:1. Rinse, pat dry and dice the sclloaps into about 1/3 inch pieces.2. Fold the tobiko and sclloaps into the spicy mayonnaise. Cover and refrigerate it if you aren’t making the rolls right away.3. Place the nori shiny side down on the bamboo mat. Moisten your hands and grab about be C of sushi rice. Place the rice in the center of the nori and press down and outwards with the rice, spreading it to the edges (take more rice as needed).4. Sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds over the rice and then flip it over so the rice is now on the bamboo mat. Try and place the nori closer towards you and closer to the end of the bamboo mat.5. Slice the cucumber into slivers. Also, cut the avocado length-wise, take out the seed and peel. Cut the avocado into thin slices (try and do this step as close to when you stuff the roll because avocados tend to brown pretty quickly).6. Off-center and closer towards you, spread bc of the spicy sclloap mixture across the length of the nori. Lay about bc C or a little less of the kani kama across the spicy sclloaps. Lay bc of the cucumber slivers on the crab and bc of the avocado on the cucumbers. *If you notice the slices of cucumber and avocado are thick, then you may need to use less of these in your rolls. Otherwise the rolls may be overstuffed and split as you roll them.7. Lift the mat that is closest to you with your thumbs and with your fingers, place them over the fillings to keep them in place as you roll. Roll the mat over the fillings until it touches straight down on the nori, which encloses the fillings completely. Lift up the edge of the mat with your dominant hand, and hold the roll with your non-dominant, and continue rolling the mat away from you.8. With the mat still covering the roll, shape it by cupping it down the length of the roll. Uncover the roll and place it on a clean surface for cutting. Dampen your knife and cut the roll into 8 equal bite sizes.9.Continue with the previous steps for the 3 remaining nori sheets.Enjoy!