I love giving hugs, just as I love receiving them. The act of embrace is comforting, reassuring, and at times even protective. We all need hugs – hugs of joy when we see an old friend after a long time apart, hugs of comfort when a friend is going through hard times. But sometimes, one hug just isn’t enough.

Because of this, food bloggers all over the world are coming together to give one HUGE virtual hug (and many virtual flowers!) to Barbara, from Winos and Foodies. Bron and Ilva were the two masterminds between this weekend of hugs for Barbara, and of course, I wanted to join in.

Seaweed Salmon Roll

I was first introduced to Barbara when I heard about her LiveSTRONG with a Taste of Yellow event earlier this year. She gave me a chance to share the struggles my family has gone through with cancer, and realize how supportive the online community can be.

Seaweed Salmon Roll

Unfortunately, Barbara is still battling cancer and going through chemotherapy. So for you, Barbara, some beautiful flowers from Son’s dad’s garden, a delicious, refreshing Seaweed Salmon Roll, and a BIG, HUGE HUG! Enjoy!

Seaweed Salmon Roll

(Hopefully, chemotherapy won’t have the same effect on you as it does on my brother… he hasn’t been allowed to have sashimi or any type of uncooked fish since he relapsed just over a year ago, and it’s torture! He’s counting down the days until his hardcore chemotherapy is finished and he can eat sashimi again.)

P.S. Another hug from me to Barbara can be found on Fridgg!

Seaweed Salmon Roll

• 6 sheets circular spring roll wrappers
  • 2 cups sumeshi
  • 6 oz thinly sliced smoked salmon
  • 1 small avocado
  • seaweed salad
  2. Cut the avocado in half, discarding the pit.
  3. Use a large spoon to scoop the avocado out of the hard skin, being careful to keep the avocado half as whole as possible.
  4. Slice the avocado into thin slices.
  5. Wet the spring roll wrapper with warm water, making sure to cover every last spot on both sides of the wrapper.
  6. Lay the wrapper flat on your workspace.
  7. Lay some smoked salmon in the middle of your wrapper, leaving 2 inches of the wrapper uncovered on either end.
  8. Scoop about 1/3 cup sumeshi onto the smoked salmon, patting it into an oblong shape with either end pointing towards the sides of the wrapper.
  9. Lay some avocado and seaweed salad on top of the sumeshi.
  10. Fold both sides of the wrapper in, over the fillings.
  11. Fold the bottom of the wrapper tightly up over the fillings.
  12. Roll the sushi away from you, until you reach the top of the wrapper, and seal it shut. (The wrapper should be sticky enough to stick to itself. If not, dampen the end with a little water.)
  13. Using a sharp knife, slice into 4 pieces.
  14. Top with more seaweed salad.

Nutrition data coming soon!

Seaweed Salmon Roll

Comments

1. Bron says:

Allison these looks so gorgeous and fresh, thank you for sharing a truly lovely hug.
    Sending many hugs your way and some extra special ones for your brother and family too!

Bron’s last blog post… A Hug in a Cocktail Glass

2. Lara says:

When the weather gets better and I can go out to buy sushi rice, seaweed for salad, avocados and smoked salmon, I want to make this. The only thing I have in the house right now is about half a package of the rice paper from my last summer roll making binge. 🙂

3. Lara says:

PS: Sorry for the fast trigger finger …. I meant to add my best wishes to your brother and Barbara and everyone who is going through chemotherapy.

4. Kalyn says:

Best wishes for your brother and Barbara both. Beautiful photos in this post!

Kalyn’s last blog post… Recipe for Barley Risotto with Mushrooms and Thyme

5. A Hug in a Cocktail Glass says:

[…] Allison @ Sushi Day […]

6. Hugs and Tuna Cakes on Fridgg.com says:

[…] can always use another hug. So though I already gave Barbara from Winos and Foodies a hug over on Sushi Day, I felt that I should do what little I can, and give her another virtual hug (and several more […]

7. barbara says:

Alison this is lovely thank you. I am not restricted to what I can eat, just can I keep it down 🙂 Thank you for your pretty rose, pretty pink salmon and virtual hugs. Hugs back at you and an extra special one for your brother.

barbara’s last blog post… You Light Up My Life

8. Jen Yu says:

What a fantastic creation. It is so beautiful! The flowers are a lovely touch. Great hug!

9. ilva says:

Such a beautiful hug! Thank you for participating!

ilva’s last blog post… Foggy morning

10. Chez Us says:

Beautiful post from your caring words, the beautiful flowers and fabu food! Special hugs to your brother as well!!

Chez Us’s last blog post… Tortilla Soup & Big News!

11. Janice Cartier says:

Gorgeous. What a lovely thing to send out to the world. Virtual hugs right back at you.

Janice Cartier’s last blog post… Life Won

12. Janice Cartier says:

I meant to say too, that you made me look at sushi in a whole new hungry way. 😉

Janice Cartier’s last blog post… Life Won

13. matt wright says:

Hugs are indeed great. As too is this sushi roll! JUST LOOK AT IT!!! it looks fabulous.

Thank you everyone for your kind words about my hug, and thank you for the return hugs and those for my brother! Believe me, they are much appreciated.

15. ken says:

Hi..
    I just want to say thanks for sharing a level of sushi presentation. You do not see the sushi in japan i believe. Salmon with seaweed? What are nice combination. I love to eat. Thanks.

ken’s last blog post… Not A Fan Of Raw Fish

16. J.D. Meier says:

Wow! What incredibly brilliant pics.

Do you take your own pictures? They’re intense.

J.D. Meier’s last blog post… Character Trumps Emotion Trumps Logic

ken – Thanks.

J.D. – We do take all of our own pictures, thanks! Son (my boyfriend who took all of the pictures seen on this post) will be very pleased to hear that you like his pictures so much. 🙂

18. Carolyn Jung says:

These are so delicate and lovely; and obviously made with a lot of love for your friend.

19. Scott at Realepicurean says:

I’m happy to have just discovered your blog – straight into my bookmarks. I love your photographs, sushi has never looked so appealing!

20. Michelle says:

oooo i just stumbled across your blog and think it is absolutely wonderful!!! I love pretty sushi!!

Michelle’s last blog post… I love my eggs

21. My Gourmet Love Affair says:

Photography = beautiful.
    Sushi = delicious.

My mouth is watering.

22. krissy says:

hi allison! my fiance came across your blog and we wanted to let you know how great your sushi looks! we’ve been meaning to make sushi ourselves, so we had our first attempt last night. we also recently started a food blog, so we’ve updated with our own version of sushi making. i am inspired by your unique recipes and will be continually preparing sushi at home!

23. Lori says:

My own fault for surfing while hungry, but wow those salmon and seaweed rolls look remarkably tasty. I’d love to attempt to put something like this together myself, assuming I can find the roller for these.

24. Micael says:

Wow this looks amazing.. I can not wait to try this
    Micael
    recipebuddys.com

25. emily says:

Hi,
    when I search a recipe I came across your blog, its Fantastic, and your website is easy to remember, I don’t have to bookmark it.
    I have a question of this recipe. the spring roll you use is raw spring roll or you cook it a little bit?

26. Katie says:

Allison – do you make your seaweed salad or buy at the asian market? I would love a recipe for that…

27. Cler says:

Hi Allison: I just came across your blog and is awesome, beautiful work you do, the recipes are great.
    As the comment above this one I would like to know how you make the seaweed salad and what is the name of that seaweed. Best wishes for your brother and Barbara. Thanks:)

Carolyn – Thanks. 🙂

Scott – Thanks, I’m glad you like it!

Michelle – Thank you!

My Gourmet Love Affair – 🙂

krissy – Thanks, I always love hearing about it when people are inspired by my sushi. 🙂

Lori – Oops… I’d say I’m sorry, but I’m really not. 😀 These sushi made with the Vietnamese rice paper actually don’t use any sort of rolling mats, so they’re super easy to make. 🙂

Micael – Thanks. 🙂

emily – These don’t need to be cooked, so I suppose you could consider them to be raw. 🙂

Katie – For now I’ve been buying the seaweed salad at an Asian market, but when I can find a good recipe for it then I’ll definitely start making it on my own (and I’ll definitely post it on Sushi Day so everyone else can benefit from the recipe as well.)

Cler – See my response to Katie… when I find a good recipe and start making it on my own, I’ll definitely post all the details about it. Thanks! 🙂

29. Cler says:

Can’t wait. Thank you!!!

30. krizma says:

this is so cool allison….i loved it sushi has always been my fav bt i always go to a restaurant to eat it but i wanna prepare it at home. pictures too r really good ..tempts me to eat it right away~….happy seeing this.god bless u ..

Thanks krizma, let me know if you end up trying to roll sushi at home and what kind you make. 🙂

32. Anonymous says:

Many hugs to brother and Barbara. What a great friend you are and tell Hubby he has a true rose thumb. They are so beautiful. I am so excited to try these recipes as I am just embarking on the sushi world. Have everything ready and will leave with one last word….Prayer……..