fiesta-roll

According to Son, this roll “tastes like a seaweed-wrapped burrito”. It’s a good roll, although I think it’s better to expect the taste of a burrito rather than the taste of sushi. Dimora e-mailed me the idea for this roll… although I changed a few things, I think her version looks much better!

When you make this roll, be ready to make a mess! It is VERY messy! Son described this to be “like a burrito with no cover on the butt”. 😛 In other words, the ingredients have a tendency to squish out the open ends… so be careful! Also, Dimora recommended putting the beans and the sour cream in ziplock bags and cutting off one of the corners, then squeezing them into the rolls. I didn’t do this (oops! I forgot. 😛 ) but I really recommend it, as it would make it easier to have even amounts of the ingredients in the roll (instead of random clumps).

Of course you could also do what we did… make one maki roll… then use the rest of the ingredients for burritos! Yum! 😉

Makes 6 rolls, or 12 pieces.

• 6 sheets nori
  • 3 cups sumeshi
  • 1 bag tortilla chips
  • 1 large avocado
  • 1 can refried beans
  • 8 oz sour cream
  • cheddar cheese
  • salsa
  • carnitas
  2. Crush the tortilla chips.
  3. Cut the avocado in half, discard the pit, slice into thin slices while still in the tough skin, then discard the skin.
  4. Slice the cheddar cheese into thin slices.
  5. Warm up the carnitas and refried beans.
  6. Spread the rice on the nori, then sprinkle the crushed tortilla chips on top of the rice, pressing them into the rice so they stick.
  7. Roll the sushi inside-out, using refried beans, salsa, avocado, sour cream, cheddar cheese, and carnitas as your fillings. BEWARE: It’s messy! Since we have so many squishy ingredients, they like to squish out when you roll the sushi (and when you eat it), so be sure to be somewhere where you can make a mess and have a lot of napkins handy!
  8. Enjoy!

Serving Size: 1 roll

• Cholesterol: 72mg, 24% DV
  • Sodium: 1154mg 48% DV

Comments

Mmm…. yummy….!!! Oops! Did you hear my stomach just growl?! Sorry :X

2. Dimora says:

Aww I’m sorry you had a hard time with it! You’re right I should have put down measurements but honestly I just ‘eyeballed’ everything. So I wasn’t sure how much I used in each baggie as I need some extra in the bag to add some weight behind what I was squeezing out.

Another note for those who want to try the recipe out: Don’t use cheap-o dollar store bags like I did. My bag for the beans burst on me and it did indeed get quite messy.

I really wanted to tempura fry this but my frying pan and I don’t get along 😛

Thank you so much for giving my recipe a try and posting it!! It’s an honor!

PS – great name for the roll!

3. Ralph Whitbeck says:

man I haven’t made sushi in a month or two this looks great.

4. Robert-Gilles Martineau says:

Might need a spoon for that!
    I wonder about the taste of burito… Interesting, I must admit!
    Incidentally, I finally posted some sushi rolls at shizuokasushi.wordpress.com!
    You might find them tempting, although the size might leave you hungry for more!
    Cheers,
    robert-Gilles

5. Lara says:

I looked at the various ingredients and thought about this very slight variation on the inside out roll. On the inside over the nori, spread a thin layer of refried beans and sprinkle on some shredded cheese and then, using the baggie method, a line of equal parts sour cream and salsa. Roll it up. Crush some tortillas fine and roll the outside in it. Slice up and sprinkle some green onion on top as a garnish. No avocado.

6. Dimora says:

Lara: I wanted to do the same thing with the crushed tortilla chips on the outside! But I tried it on the inside and it got soggy pretty quickly…since I usally make them for the next day they sit in the fridge over night, so I bet having it on the outside served up right away would be awesome 😀

7. Dimora says:

wow im sleepy and my grammar was all over the place there…sorry! I’m going ot bed now 😛

Yvo – 😀 Sorry! Hehe.

Dimora – Thanks so much for the recipe and tips!

Ralph – Thanks! Time to go make some sushi! 😀

Robert-Gilles – Yep, it’s messy!

Lara – Ooh that sounds good too! You guys all have such great ideas 🙂

9. Lara says:

The ingredients sound like they would be great in the middle of “o-nigiri”, if I have the terminology right.

I happen to have some chicken in mole sauce (the bitter chocolate/ground nut based sauce that you can simmer shredded chicken or turkey in) and thought that might also be a good filling for the maki roll. Use the salsa or sour cream as dips instead of soy sauce or a thin layer as a garnish. 🙂

Mmmm that sounds good too! You have some awesome ideas! Mind if I use them?