steak-and-potato-sushi

More steak!! Yum! So now all you people who won’t eat sushi because you don’t like fish or any of that… you have no excuse!!!! Hehe. This uses the same flank steak recipe as the last post, so if you have leftovers, you can use them for this!

By the way, this is completely off topic (but it’s my blog so I can do that :D ) but does anyone have any good brownie recipes? It’s just been one of those months where I really need some good brownies. Lay in bed and eat brownies… wouldn’t we all just love that? Unfortunately life goes on… I want brownies. Or ice cream. But it’s too cold for ice cream, so brownies. Please? :D

Makes 6 rolls, or 36-48 pieces.

• 6 sheets nori
  • 3 cups sumeshi
  • 1 1.5 pound flank steak
  • 1 clove garlic, halved
  • salt, pepper, garlic powder
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 medium potato
  • olive oil
  • 1 onion
  1. Cook sumeshi.
  2. Trim any excess fat from the flank steak.
  3. Pat the surface of the flank steak dry with a paper towel, then rub with the cut side of the clove of garlic. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
  4. Melt the butter in a skillet that is big enough to hold the flank steak. Put the flank steak in the skillet, and cook over medium-high heat until it is browned on the outside but still pink in the center.
  5. Remove the flank steak from the skillet and cover loosely with foil.
  6. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
  7. Wash and peel the potato, and slice into 1/4″ x 1/4″ strips.
  8. Place the strips on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil.
  9. Sprinkle with salt and garlic powder.
  10. Bake for 25 minutes, rearranging the french fries halfway through so they don’t burn.
  11. Or if you prefer, you can go buy some fries from your favorite fast food restaurant. Works just as well. :)
  12. Slice the onion into rings, cut these in half.
  13. Roll the sushi, using a couple of strips of flank steak, onion, and french fries as your fillings.
  14. Serve with BBQ sauce. Enjoy!

Coming Soon!

Comments

1. Tim says:

I love this recipe. Simple and yummy!

Oooh yummy! Thanks! :D

3. Philipp Sury says:

As a matter of fact, there’s still one excuse: the Nori leaves. When my sister tried Sushi for the first time two weeks ago, she liked the Nigiri, but not the Maki. That’s why I want to make leave-less maki rolls after all. ;-)

If one has guests over for dinner, it’s wise not only to ask them ahead wether they like fish or not, but also how they feel about seaweed.

Hehe good point! I forgot about that! My sister actually has a friend who hates nori, so whenever I make maki at my parents’ house and she’s there, she won’t eat any! She loves Inari though, so I can still feed her. :) Thanks for the tip! :D

5. Ralph Whitbeck says:

Speaking of rolls for people that don’t like fish (sorry nori haters) I recently tried making a chicken wing roll and was quite surprised at how good it tasted.

I had some left over wings and took a wing and got all the meat off of it. prepared my nori like anything else (I like making the inside out rolls so my rice is on the outside) and when it was time for the fillings I put a line of blue cheese down and then filled the rest with chicken wing meat. I guess I could of julianed up some celery but i am not a fan.

Roll, cut and enjoy!

Oooh I love that idea!! Can I use it in a post? I promise I’ll credit you! :D

Yum, that wing roll sounds delicious too! Steak in a roll, so good! Question though- do you find it chewy at all? Thanks!

8. Lizz says:

This looks soooo good! My b/f would definetely eat this roll!!! I’m so hungry now! =/

Yvo:D The meat was really nice and tender, so it wasn’t really chewy at all! Soooooo good!

Lizz – Hehe yay! I’m glad we can introduce more people to sushi! (We’re going to take over the world with sushi!!! Hehe :P )

10. Ralph Whitbeck says:

yes you can use it in a post I would be honored.

Yay! Thanks so much!! Hopefully you will see it up here soon!

12. Tim says:

sounds Great! too bad alot of my friends are vegetarian

Hehe yeah, but I do have a few vegetarian sushi up here too… try the Kappa Maki, Firecracker Roll (although not for vegans), Inari-Zushi, Tamago Nigiri (another one that vegans can’t eat), Deviled Egg Sushi (also not for vegans), and the Monkey Maki (no vegans here either). :) Hope that helps!

14. Endless Simmer - A Food Blog » Blog Archive » Who Cooked It Better? The Great Steak Sushi Roll-off says:

[...] Our first steak sushi roll, pictured on the left, is from Sushi Day, who offers up some beautiful butter-fried flank steak cooked to a pinkish rare. But more importantly, Sushi Day has the gall/genius to roll it up with onion slices and french fries! (The fries are both inside the sushi roll AND served alongside it.) This non-conformist sushi is topped off with BBQ sauce. Full recipe here. [...]

15. Chef Victoria says:

Hi, I too get the winter blues and chocolate always does the trick here is a great recipe for brownies hope you like them :)
    1/2 cup shortening
    2 1ounce squares of unsweetened chocolate (you can find these in the grocery store baking isle)
    3/4 cup flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup of walnuts (optional) coarsley chopped or any other nut you may like
    melt shortening and chocolate in a pan over another pan with hot water(double boiler) cool. Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Beat eggs until light: add sugar then chocolate mixture and blend (stir together). Add vanilla and nuts. mix well. pour batter into waxed paper lined 8 inch square pan and bake at 350 degrees 30 to 35 minutes. cool and cut into squares makes 16. Enjoy I like to have a little french vanilla icecream on my brownies while they are still hot and drizzle a little raspberry syrup on them. If you like this recipe you may share it with others.

16. Chef Victoria says:

Try some fried sweet potatoe on your flank steak sushi with korean bulgogi bbq sauce it is exquisite in flavor….

17. burn fat says:

Sweet potato and mac and cheese! Lol, weird? Sure but add a few things in the mix and you definitley will enjoy it even more!

Chef Victoria – Thanks for the brownie recipe! And your idea of sweet potatoes and bulgogi sauce sounds heavenly. :)

fat – Sounds delicious to me!