unagi-roll

Unagi (eel) is a great way for non-fish eaters to make the transition to trying fish! It is eaten cooked and usually teriyaki flavored, and has a subtle fish flavor. This is one of the more traditional rolls that can be found in most sushi restaurants. Unagi can be found frozen at Japanese supermarkets. It is so yummy yummy yummy!! I hope you like the sweet salty flavor of the unagi with the crunch of the cucumber as much as I do! And, as always, let me know if you have any suggestions for future posts!

Makes 6 rolls, or 36-48 pieces.

2. Cook the unagi according to the package.
  3. Wash the cucumber and slice into long thin strips.
  4. Slice the unagi into long thin strips.
  5. Roll the sushi, using cucumber and unagi as your fillings.
  6. Serve with shoyu, wasabi, and ginger if desired. Enjoy!

Serving Size: 1 roll Unagi Roll

• Cholesterol: 100g, 33% DV
  • Sodium: 748g, 31% DV

Comments

1. Brian says:

Unagi is an awesome sushi ingredient, especially when warm! Unagi with tamago is a classic if you haven’t tried it already, and try a roll with unagi and cream cheese for melt-in-your-mouth happiness. Yum!

Ooh they sound sooo yummy!! Thanks so much for the ideas, I’ll try them next time I make unagi! :)

3. hien says:

you should heat up (oven toasted) the eel before you roll , and add a little eel sauce (kabayaki) on the roll before serving. :P also it’s better rice outside with sesame seed.

Unagidon is another great one u should feature. Basicly, it’s a bed of rice and eel on top. ohhh yeahhhhh!!

This is one of the few fish my boyfriend will eat. The first time he heard of it, he was all, “EW eel who eats that, I fish with it!!” and I’m all, nooo it’s so good. The soft meltiness of the meat… the sweet sauce… ahhh. So good. Love it. Thanks :) Mmmm!!!! (He actually requests we go eat this sometimes!)

hien – I did heat it up, but thanks for the idea for the eel sauce! I have an inside-out roll similar to this coming soon, so stay tuned! :) Unagidon sounds REALLY good! I’ll try that next time I gett unagi!

Yvo – Hehe eel is so yummy! I used to be like that – we never had much fish when I was growing up (my mom LOVES sashimi but she is allergic to fish! :( ) so I didn’t really like fish that much for a while. I tried eel a couple of years ago and it really grew on me! Nowadays I have been trying more types of fish, so although I’m not exactly a fish connoisseur, there definitely will be fish up here in the future!

6. Nick says:

I first tried grilled eel for sushi a few months ago. I have been ruined for life. Tastiest thing ever. So use it!

I agree! I love unagi and I have been using it quite a bit lately!! There are still a few that I have made and not posted yet… so keep an eye out for those! :)

8. Erica says:

I just wanted to say that this is a wonderful site! Came across it while lookin for sushi recipes.

Thanks Erica! :)

10. Joseph Hwang says:

Can any one tell me where to buy non-chinese-made kabayaki?

I usually get mine at Mitsuwa… I assume it’s Japanese-made, but I’m not 100% sure about that. Hope that helps! (And I’ll check next time I get some)

12. Milo Darnello says:

I must admit that I would be happy to try the grilled eel but raw sushi just does not work for me, the annoying thing is it is always so well presented and looks mouthwatering. Also the descriptions are always so colourful and tantilizing, make me hungry right now just thinking about it..

Eel is a great way to start, and eventually you can venture further into the world of sushi… and maybe even try sashimi someday. :)

14. Red Ginger « ericghanson says:

[...] thrill of sushi, and since Janell and I are avid sushi lovers, we spent the afternoon knocking down Unagi and Ahi rolls and finishing it all off with soul-warming white tea.  The most impressive moments [...]

15. Red Ginger | ericghanson says:

16. Sara says:

My husband loves these, they are his his favorite food. When he orders them, he gets this molasses sauce on top, do you know or have any advice on that?

That’s probably eel sauce (click on the link, and there’s a recipe for it :) ).

18. RAHMAD says:

hello I rahmad.saya from Indonesia.
    I want to offer fish unagi? May I have your email? thank you before.
    if you are interested contact my email r_prihananto@yahoo.com

19. coll says:

i like the smoked eel. but I don’t know how to get it in the nowheres-vill USA. the kind they have in Holland. I had it there, and a relitive came long ago to visit and she took some with her. parling I think they call it

20. San Francisco says:

Hi,
    I live in San Francisco, where is the best place to buy all these ingredients? For example fresh Tuna or frozen Unagi. Would I be able to find all that in Chinatown?

SFSushiLover