Rice, rice, baby!
I have a thing for using okonomiyaki flavors in random places. I’ve done it in maki sushi, inari sushi, deviled eggs… you just can never go wrong!
I grew up eating bacon fried rice for special occasions – it’s still a New Year’s morning tradition in my family. Add in a ton of cabbage, eggs, and rice, and top it with allllll the delicious okonomiyaki toppings, and you’ve got some excellent fried rice!
Okonomiyaki Fried Rice
- 1 lb bacon, diced
- 1 head cabbage (red or green is fine), thinly sliced
- 4 cups day-old short-grain rice, refrigerated overnight
- 1/2 cup dashi, optional
- 4 eggs
- okonomi or takoyaki sauce
- kewpie mayo
- bonito flakes
- Fry bacon in a large pan or wok, until starting to crisp.
- Add in cabbage, and cook until cabbage caramelizes.
- Add rice, and dashi, if using. Cook until rice is broken up and thoroughly incorporated with the other ingredients.
- Push rice to the side and add in eggs. Cook eggs, stirring, until they begin to scramble, then slowly stir them into the fried rice. Remove from heat.
- For each serving, top the rice with okonomi sauce, kewpie mayo, aonori, bonito flakes, and benishoga.
Links in this post may be affiliate posts. If you buy an item through an affiliate link, I get a small fee, which helps support this blog!