I’ve gotten tagged with another “random things” meme, this time by Nicole from For the Love of Food. Of course, if you don’t want to know more randomness about me, you can always skip to the yummy Hotate Special recipes and pictures at the end of this post.
- Up until nine months ago, I had never tried sashimi. My mother is allergic to fish, so it was rare that we ate fish at our house. Of course, now that I’ve tried sashimi, it’s pretty obvious I’m in love (as can be seen in all the sushi I make with sashimi these days!)
- I performed in the Nutcracker ballet for eight consecutive years. I’ve danced nearly every role… from a little boy in the party scene (we had a huge shortage of boys, so the smaller girls always played the boy parts before getting to be a girl in the party scene), to a Spanish (chocolate) dancer, to the Arabian (coffee) pas de deux, to Dew Drop Fairy. Fourteen roles in all. My favorite of all was easily the Arabian pas de deux… it’s a sensual dance with several amazing lifts, and lifts were always my favorite part of a pas de deux.
- In eighth grade, I came in first place for the Reach for the Stars (astronomy) event at our regional Science Olympiad. At the time I was really passionate about astronomy… my dad
hadhas a pretty nice telescope, and at the time I knew just about every constellation in the sky.
- I’m half Japanese, a quarter Swedish, and one eighth Irish. The other eighth is comprised of German, English, and other European randomness. Unfortunately, I speak very little Japanese, and even less Swedish or Irish. (I’ve got English down though! ) I figure I’ll start with Japanese, then try to learn Vietnamese (since it would be *really* nice to be able to understand Son’s family all the time) and then move on to the other languages.
- I used to dance with an awesome band called One World. They sing latin-style music written by Frank Unzueta, the leader of the band. I always had so much fun rehearsing and working with the band and my dance partner… I really miss the rehearsals and performances! Most recently, I did a music video with them last Super Bowl Sunday, so I’m hoping I’ll get another opportunity to work with them soon!
- I am an RPG player. However I’m pretty new at it, so nobody’s allowed to throw things at me if I get something wrong. I consider myself to be very lucky to have gotten involved with the Escaping Reality RPG, run by some good friends of mine. We’ve got the most awesome group of players there, and I’m having so much fun developing my character and writing with them. Also, have you noticed any improvement in my writing over the past three months? It’s all thanks to those two and their RPG.
And now, for the sushi.
The Hotate (scallop) Special is a type of sushi I first had about a month or so ago, when I went up to Sunnyvale with Son on a business trip. We went to a sushi restaurant called Seto Japanese cuisine, where Son and I decided we wanted to try something new. As I wrote in my review of the restaurant, I loved the Hotate Special so much, that I just had to try to replicate it at home.
Have I mentioned scallops are my new favorite sashimi? They’re so soft and delicious, it’s hard not to like them. One thing though… when you get the scallops, there’s a little piece on the side of them, as if you had rolled a ball of dough and then stuck another piece of dough to the side of it. Personally, I prefer to discard this piece. I find that it is tough and chewy, not at all like the rest of the scallop. Luckily, it’s only a very small piece, so I don’t feel as if I’m wasting too much of it.
Serving Size: 1 piece Hotate Special
- Calories: 98
- Fat: 3g, 4% DV
- Saturated Fat: 0g, 2% DV
- Cholesterol: 37mg, 12% DV
- Sodium: 324mg, 13% DV
- Total Carbohydrates: 14g, 5% DV
- Dietary Fiber: 0g, 1% DV
- Sugars: 8g
- Protein: 4g, 8% DV
- Vitamin A: 2%
- Vitamin C: 4%
- Calcium: 1%
- Iron: 3%
- Magnesium: 3%
- Potassium: 2%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. These values are only estimates based on the individual ingredients, and not meant to replace the advice of a medical professional.
You also might like...
- Contest Winners, and a Sushi Post on Fridgg
- Seto Japanese Cuisine
- About Me
- Seared Scallop with Chicharrones
- Monday Sushi?