spicy-shrimp-inari

Although I have forever loved inari sushi in it’s simplest form, I always look for delicious ideas to spruce up my old favorite.

Several weeks ago, I was at Whole Foods and I needed something quick for lunch, so I stopped by the sushi section. (Yes, I eat store bought sushi. It’s not all bad.) I bought a tray of inari sushi which had shrimp and spicy mayonnaise on top. Of course I was a little skeptical, but my skepticism was unfounded. The sushi was amazing.

Then and there, I vowed to replicate the sushi for Sushi Day. This combination is far too delicious to keep to myself. It is a simple, easy recipe that almost anyone will love. (yesterday I made a double batch in less than an hour, including the cooking time for the rice.) The spiciness of the sauce can be adjusted to suit your tastes, and the shrimp can be omitted for vegetarians. This inari sushi is guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser.

2. Prepare the inari according to the directions on the package. (Some require no preparation, while some say you should boil the pouch of inari for a few minutes before using them.)
  3. Mix the mayonnaise and Sriracha sauce until well blended.
  4. Stuff each pouch of inari with about 1/4 cup of rice.
  5. Push a shrimp into the middle of each stuffed inari.
  6. Scoop a little spicy mayonnaise over the shrimp.
  7. Sprinkle chopped green onion and sesame seeds over the sauce.
  8. Enjoy!

Serving Size: 1 piece Spicy Shrimp Inari

• Cholesterol: 13mg, 4% DV
  • Sodium: 753mg, 31% DV

Comments

Mmm, looks yummy. I’ve been saying lately a lot of inari stuffed with hijiki and sushi rice… yummy as well I’d bet :)

2. Melissa Donovan says:

This is one of my favorite treats to pick up at Whole Foods! And unfortunately, they are often all out of it, so I’ve bookmarked this page in my recipes folder. Next time, I’ll just make it myself ;)

One question – how do I make sriracha sauce?

Yvo – Inari is great with all sorts of stuffings… I’ll bet that’s yummy too!

Melissa – Sriracha sauce is an Asian hot sauce. It’s usually in a bottle that looks like this. Asian supermarkets usually have it, and sometimes even regular chain supermarkets like Ralphs or Albertsons will stock it.

4. Lara says:

My 23 year old nephew still giggles when I refer to Sriracha sauce by its alternate name for the rooster on the bottle. :)

5. Marie says:

I’ve had the shrimp inari at Whole Foods and was pleasantly surprised as well! For some reason, making inari intimidates me, but I know it’d be a lot cheaper to make this treat at home!

6. Brianne says:

mmmm inari!!!!

7. Dave says:

Very nice, may I recommend real mayo and not miracle whip in case the thought crossed anyone’s mind. :D There’s something that’s just not right when you use the miracle whip.

Lara – LOL!

Marie – Don’t be intimidated at all, it’s actually incredibly easy to make! I make it quite often as an easy, delicious dinner… I actually just had it tonight. :D

Brianne – Yes!

Dave – I agree completely, Miracle Whip just seems… wrong.

9. Debra says:

I want to know how to use panko breadcrumbs on sushi. Does it have to be cooked? If so, should it be cooked first then sprinkled on the roll?

When using panko, most often the roll (or chicken breast, or whatever you’re cooking) is coated or topped with the panko crumbs, then deep fried or baked, depending on the application.

For sushi, you would coat the roll with the panko breadcrumbs, then deep fry it in oil.

11. Rhiannon says:

Thank You. I just found this. I used to get them at the vons in CA. But I can’t seem to find them anywhere else there or here in TX. I love this stuff. Now I can make my own. :D

12. Man Sushi - Sushi Day - Sushiday.com says:

[...] of 2010, and somehow got roped into making sushi for everyone. In addition to my ever-popular Spicy Shrimp Inari and a variation on the Refugee from Reality Roll, I had them grill up some beef teriyaki (from this [...]

13. Vegan Sushi - Sushi Day - Sushiday.com says:

[...] into account when making sushi for other people, like if you’re going to a potluck. While my Spicy Shrimp Inari is always a crowd pleaser, you know there are always a few picky eaters: “I don’t eat [...]