jumpin-jack-fish-roll

You might think the name of this roll is a little weird. Why name it the “Jumpin’ Jack Fish Roll”? Well, let me explain. The inclusion of jalapeños and togarashi make the roll more than a little spicy, so it’s definitely “jumpin'”! And as I mentioned in my Yellowtail Nigiri post, yellowtail is actually a type of jack fish, so this being called a “Jack Fish Roll” actually makes a lot of sense.

This roll is originally from Tex Wasabi’s, a sushi and BBQ restaurant found in Northern California.

• 6 sheets nori
  • 3 cups sumeshi
  • 6 oz sashimi-grade yellowtail
  • 3 oz cream cheese
  • 6 jalapeños or a jar of sliced jalapeños
  • 6 stalks green onion
  • togarashi
  2. Slice yellowtail into 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch by 2-3 inch sticks, against the grain.
  3. Wash the green onion, cut the long green stalks off of the white bulb-like things. Discard the white bulbs.
  4. Slice the jalapeños.
  5. Roll the sushi, using yellowtail, cream cheese, jalapeños, a stalk of green onion, and a sprinkle of togarashi as your fillings.

Serving Size: 1 roll Jumpin’ Jack Fish Roll

• Cholesterol: 55mg, 18% DV
  • Sodium: 1104mg, 46% DV

Comments

1. Dave says:

I LOVE jalapeños in sushi. Spicy tuna rolls tempura style with a slice of pickled jalapeño on top if my favorite sushi. However, I don’t really like the crisp texture of fresh jalapeños, and pickled ones kind of overpower the taste of a lot of the tunas. Any ideas on how to prep them to blend in more with the fish?

I was thinking about maybe blanching them? I dunno, I wouldn’t want to waste trial and error on yellowtail 😀

2. Robert-Gilles Martineau (ロベル。ジル) says:

You could always eat (or make) it with the Rolling Stones’ Jumping Jack Flash playingin thebackground!
    Robert-Gilles

3. Joel Falconer says:

You’re the first foodie blog to be added to my feed reader. I love sushi like crazy – tried making some last year. It could’ve turned out better, but it was edible 😉

Dave – Hmmm. I’ve always used the sliced jalapeños in a jar, so I’ve never really had a problem with them. Plus I don’t really eat them, so… yeah. 😛 Blanching could work, another thing that might work is sauteing them? Slice them up, stick them in a pan with a little butter or oil, and saute them until soft. not sure how well that would work, but I can imagine it working pretty nicely.

Robert-Gilles – Haha yeah! Way to pair the sushi with music! 🙂

Joel – Awwww, I feel so special! 😀 It takes a little practice to make the sushi look good (several of my first ones fell apart!) but they certainly are delicious mistakes!

5. Dave says:

Allison – I’ll give it a shot sometime this week and let you know how it turns out. I may try a little of both. I finally found a butcher less than 30 minutes away from my house that has sashimi grade fish so i’m going to be going sushi crazy for the next week or two. =D

6. Kimberly Spencer says:

That’s a wonderful blog entry, thanks for sharing. We just started a blog ourselves and I’m a complete newbie at this so kudos for such a good job on your blog! Good read by the way, thanks again for your efforts, I very much appreciated reading your thoughts. 🙂

7. John Sporting Goods Fishing says:

My attempts at sushi have always ended in disaster, however when friends from Japan come and stay I let them try to show me. I’m getting better.

Dave – So… how’d the sushi-making go? 🙂

Kimberly – Thanks.

John – My first attempts at sushi all fell apart, so practice definitely does make perfect. But even disastrous attempts taste delicious, so it’s all good. 😉

9. Willa Jamil says:

Nice looking recipe – thanks for providing. I sent it to my sister who likes sushi very much.

Willa Jamil