unagi-asparagus-roll

Tuna tuna tuna… so many tuna sushi recipes lately! What? I’m catching up for the entire year that I didn’t use any sashimi at all! 😀 A quick break though… it’s an unagi recipe today, and then it’s back to tuna! Mmmmm…

I love asparagus. That might not sound like anything special unless you know that I hate vegetables. Well, I used to at least. When I was little my parents used to make me (and my siblings… it wasn’t just me!) eat our vegetables before we ate the rest of our dinner! I’m getting much better though, not I’ll eat asparagus and most other vegetables without making horrible faces. 😀 So obviously, I had to put some asparagus in a roll, and what better companion than unagi? Seriously. It’s gooood.

• 6 sheets nori
  • 3 cups sumeshi
  • 1 package frozen unagi
  • 6 spears asparagus
  2. Cook unagi according to directions on package.
  3. Wash asparagus.
  4. Cut about 1-2 inches off bottoms of stalks, discard.
  5. Steam asparagus until tender, but still crisp.
  6. Roll the sushi, using some unagi and a stalk of asparagus as your fillings.

Serving Size: 1 roll Unagi Asparagus Roll

• Cholesterol: 100mg, 33% DV
  • Sodium: 749mg, 31% DV

Comments

1. amy says:

Mmm! Looks great! I’m enjoying your tuna series, but don’t give up on all of your unique creations! I loved seeing what you would come up with! 🙂

Mmm, I love asparagus… and unagi… I’ve been meaning to pick up more unagi for some bento 😉

Amy – Thanks! Oh, I’m not giving up, don’t worry! Plenty more on the way!

Yvo – You would love this! Yum… unagi…

4. Lara says:

I hope to pick up some unagi soon. Yvo … what do you use it for in your bento box?

Lara – http://feistybento.blogspot.com/search?q=unagi I make unagidon sometimes, or I make onigiri with it. I’ve only done that once but it was good – a tiny bit smushed into seasoned rice, with a dab of sauce, and so. freaking. good. It’s like, each bite is a bite of unagi don except with the right ratio of rice to eel to whatever you like in there 😉

Lara – oops, also this http://feistybento.blogspot.com/2007/07/feisty-bento-2-onigiri.html

Ooh that sounds good! 😀

8. fween says:

there are some way to eat eel. not only sushi, i love donburi yeah!
    i will introduce my japanese foods in my site, if you are interested in it, please link to me, thanks!

9. ifoods chef says:

i loved your recipe !! it really is so well made with lots of thought and very healthy as well! I just started a video recipe site that shows you step by step how to make stuff, http://www.ifoods.tv and i also started out as a blogger so it’s great seeing other bloggers doing well, keep up the good work”

fween – Thanks! Eel certainly is delicious!

ifoods chef – Thank you! Your site looks beautiful!

11. jayme says:

I once had a roll with asparagus and cream cheese that I think was tempura fried. Ever made or had one like that? Am I missing anything that should be in it?