Several people have requested a tempura recipe, so here you go! This will work for most any type of tempura, from shrimp to vegetables, and even bananas!
- assorted ingredients to tempura (shrimp, onion, carrot, broccoli, banana, etc.)
- 1 cup ice cold water
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- cooking oil
- In a medium bowl, mix the water and the egg.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour and baking soda.
- Stir the flour mix into the egg mix. It’s okay if the batter is a little lumpy.
- Stick the batter in the fridge while you prepare the other ingredients.
- If you are using shrimp, peel, de-vein, and wash it. Make some small cuts across the belly of the shrimp, to keep it from curling when you cook it. (Thanks hien and Rei for the tips!)
- If you are using vegetables, clean them and cut them into your desired size. Try not to use very soft ingredients, as they will soften as they cook (softer ingredients tend to fall apart when you take it out of the oil).
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. The oil should be hot enough that when you drip batter in it, the drops come to the top immediately.
- Coat your ingredients in the batter. Place the coated ingredients in the hot oil, turning when the bottom side is browned.
- Place the fried ingredients on a paper towel to drain. Remove any skewers. Serve immediately.
Serving Size: 1 batch
- Fat: 6g, 9% DV
- Saturated Fat: 2g, 8% DV
- Cholesterol: 211mg, 70% DV
- Sodium: 225mg 9% DV
- Total Carbohydrates: 72g, 24% DV
- Dietary Fiber: 3g, 10% DV
- Sugars: 1g
- Protein: 16g, 32% DV
- Vitamin A: 5%
- Vitamin C: 0%
- Calcium: 5%
- Iron: 29%
- Magnesium: 7%
- Potassium: 5%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. These values are only estimates based on the individual ingredients, and not meant to replace the advice of a medical professional.
You also might like...
- Monkey Maki
- Spicy Tempura Roll
- Godzilla Roll
- A Taste of Yellow – Curried Sushi Hearts
- Crunchy Shrimp Roll