how-to-make-oshizushi

Oshizushi is a type of sushi that uses a small wooden box to press the sushi into little rectangles. It’s a lot of fun to press the sushi, especially since there are so many different combinations you can make (As you will see, we went a little overboard πŸ˜‰ ).

1. When you get your box, you will see there are three pieces that make up the box. There should be one box-like piece with vertical slits on the side, and two flatter pieces with wooden feet.Oshizushi box
  2. One of these flat pieces should have feet that extend beyond the edges of the flat piece of wood. Place this on your workspace, flat side up.
  3. Place the box on top of this flat piece, with the vertical slits opening upwards.
  4. Place a large piece of plastic wrap in this, pressing it to the bottom and sides so the entire inside surface is covered. The plastic wrap should extend an inch or two over the edges of the box.
  5. Wrap the second flat piece of wood in plastic wrap. This will keep it from getting too dirty.
  6. Fill the plastic wrap-covered box about 2/3 full with sumeshi.Oshizushi
  7. Press the plastic wrap-covered flat piece of wood flat side down in the box to compress the rice.OshizushiOshizushi
  8. Place your ingredients, one layer at a time, into the box. Compress with the piece of wood between each layer. If you are small and/or not one with much arm strength (like me!), it helps to have someone heavier or stronger (or both) to help compress it for you. If not its fine, it’s just that when it’s compressed more it sticks together better when you are eating it. I used Son for all my sushi pressing!Oshizushi
  9. Once all of your ingredients have been placed on the sushi and compressed, use a sharp knife to cut the sushi through each of the vertical slits in the box. Also cut through the plastic wrap.Oshizushi
  10. Using the plastic wrap that you had put in the box, lift out the sushi. I prefer to do it this way, just because it keeps the box from getting too dirty.OshizushiOshizushi
  11. Replace the plastic wrap in the box with a new sheet before you make another batch.
  12. Eat your freshly pressed oshizushi!

Comments

1. Ralph Whitbeck says:

haha oh man I got one of those boxes in one of my kits. I had no idea what it was for. Thanks for showing me what it’s used for. Although mine doesn’t have vertical slits to cut through.

Hehe no problem! If yours doesn’t have the slits, you can just switch directions #9 and #10. πŸ˜€

Ooh, I don’t think I’ve ever seen this type of sushi at restuarants. It’s making me really hungry tho! *Off to read what kinds of combinations you guys made πŸ™‚

πŸ™‚ I have never seen it at sushi restaurants either… but it’s really good! πŸ˜€

5. joey says:

Awesome! Great tutorial and looks delicious. I can’t wait to pick up an Oshizushi box at our local Uwajimaya!

I’m not sure I’ve seen this at any sushi restaurants myself, do you think this box is tradition to japan?

Thanks Joey! As far as I can tell, oshizushi is a traditional type of sushi, although it doesn’t seem to be one of the popular ones in American restaurants. I have never seen it at sushi restaurants either, so who knows? πŸ™‚

7. Lara says:

I’m not going to be able to lay my hands on a traditional box any time soon, so I was thinking … I have small (5″ long by about 2″ wide) aluminum loaf pans which I could line it with cling film, layer the rice etc and use another loaf pan (filled with something heavy to weigh it down) as a press on top. Then, remove the contents using the cling film as a sort of sling, and cut into pieces. Could you layer some nori in there too? I have some trimmings ( 1 1/2″ wide) off full sheets of nori that I want to use. πŸ™‚

Lara – Fantastic idea! Absolute genius… I would have never thought of that! πŸ˜€ Yeah you can definitely use nori in them, it works well as an in-between layer. πŸ™‚ Have fun!

9. tiffany Chang says:

hi, can you please tell me where to get a box like the one in the pictures? Because I can only find ones that don’t have the slits on the side for you to cut? I live in London and is there an online website I can buy this from? Thanks a lot!
    please email me at petithamu1980@hotmail.com
    I’d really appreciated.

Tiffany – Here is a plastic sushi press from Amazon.com. Hope this helps!

11. Elssha says:

Weird, I was sure 99 ranch would have them… but they all looked at me as if I’d grown a second head. Is there any specific name this box has, or can you tell me about the size of it? I think I could make my own, then. It sounds really cool… and a nice alternative when you realize you’re out of nori >_

Typically the box is referred to as a sushi press or a sushi mold, although sushi mold can also refer to other things, such as the mold used for the rice in nigiri sushi. The inside dimensions of the box are 7 inches long by 1 3/4 inches wide by 1 3/8 inches tall, and the slits are about every 1 5/16 inches along the long side of the box, 1 1/8 inches long and 1/16 inch wide. The piece of wood that goes on the bottom fits just inside of the box, with legs that protrude out to the side so that it sits just at the bottom of the box. The piece on the bottom protrudes into the box about 3/16 of an inch. Theres also a piece that you use to press the ingredients down with. It fits completely in the box, and has a couple of pieces on the top that are of the same width so that you can easily remove the top piece when you are done squishing the oshizushi. I realize that was probably pretty confusing, but I hope that helps! Feel free to ask if you have any other questions!

13. Jesse says:

Re #6: Oshizushi or hako-zushi was how sushi is a very traditional type of sushi that was developed around the same time as maki-zushi in the 19th century. It is still popular in the Kansai region around Osaka and Kyoto.

Re #11: Elssha, 99 Ranch is a Chinese owned grocery chain that specializes in Chinese and pan-asian ingredients. In my experience, they have some Japanese stuff but not much and sometimes what they do have is low quality. I would go to an authentic Japanese market or house wares store or order a box online.

Thanks so much for the info! It clears a lot of things up. πŸ™‚

15. Thank you for the Shizuoka mystery sake! at Tokyofoodcast says:

[…] about.” As everyone suspected, this one went so well with food we had that night, sashimi, oshizushi, and vegetable […]

16. alexander says:

very practical and quite cheaper sushi to make. Nori seaweed wrap is quite expensive especially in the Philippines. Your method is both economical and allows you to make use of ones imagination in making compressed sushi.

17. Jessica says:

Awesome! really I like sushi he best! and I’m from Korean

alexander – Yep, a great way to enjoy sushi without the constraints of a roll. πŸ™‚

Jessica – Thanks!

19. pmold says:

it is right

20. Rienie says:

Here in the Netherlands you see Box sushi in some wok restaurants. πŸ™‚ I bought a mold today so I can press my own sushi πŸ™‚

pmold – It’s a great solution for those people who can’t find nori, or where it’s too expensive to buy often. πŸ™‚

Rienie – Awesome! πŸ™‚

22. Moncler says:

23. Sarah Eaton says:

wow that looks really amazing and so tasty. Where can we get one of those?

24. ΒΏEl sushi es pescado crudo? - Blogodisea says:

[…] Oshizushi: Este sushi se prensa en un molde de madera (oshibako). Primero se pone el relleno en el fondo de la prensa y se cubre con el arroz. Tras ser prensado, obtiene una forma de placa que se puede cortar en tiras. […]

25. JaBistro Review | In Search Of Yummy-ness says:

[…] absolutely adore the Oshizushi sushi from the AburiΒ menu. Oshizushi is a pressed sushi, which gives you this neat rectangular shape. AburiΒ means that the top of the […]