I recently realized that in all the six years that Sushi Day has been around, I’ve never once done a single Halloween post.
Not a single one!
Obviously, that needed to change.
I wanted to do something with black and orange fillings, so first I had to find myself some black rice. All I could find at the grocery store was wild rice (which likely wouldn’t work too well for sushi), so I ordered a bag of Chinese black rice from Amazon.
Not only do I love uni and ikura, but they’re also perfect for Halloween – both orange-colored, uni can pass for a slug or a tongue, and ikura kind of looks like eyeballs. Combine that with the black rice (which in the right light, looks just like a mass of little black bugs!) and you’ve got some perfectly creepy Halloween sushi.
I love playing around with the Rice Cube I got earlier this year (Disclaimer: the Rice Cube was a gift, and all Amazon links in this post are affiliate links), plus it’s SO easy to make sushi cubes with it, so I decided to use that to play around for this year’s Halloween sushi.
Check out our Halloween tag on Fridgg for more fun and spooky Halloween treats!
- 2 cups sumeshi, made with Chinese black rice
- 1 tray uni
- 1/4 cup ikura
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- Use a Rice Cube to form the sumeshi into squares (or use your hands, dampened with water, to form the sumeshi into balls. Or you can use plastic wrap, or a small mold). You can layer the rice with ikura, if you’d like
- Top your cube or ball of rice with one lobe of uni (or two if they’re small) or a small scoop of ikura.
- Sprinkle with a little paprika and black sesame seeds, if desired.