Son

Like I mentioned two weeks ago, it has been two wonderful years of sushi since I launched Sushi Day. However, in those two years I’ve rarely, except in passing, told you anything about my dear boyfriend, Son. Unfair, really, because without him Sushi Day would have never come into existence. I’ve mentioned many times that the amazing design and coding for Sushi Day were all done by Son. What you didn’t know is that the entire idea for Sushi Day was his as well.

Son and I

Son and I met in January, 2005, when we both were accepted onto a ballroom dance team at our university. He was in his first year of grad school for his Master’s in Computer Science; I was a freshman dance major. Very handsome and obviously far too cool for dorky, nerdy little me, I always saw him as out of my league. Still, I made an effort to dance with him as much as I could – possibly as a subconscious effort to flirt with him, but mostly because he was the best male dancer there. I never imagined he would be interested in me – not until several months later, when we began chatting frequently both online and on the phone. On May 15, 2005, we went on our first date.

Son and I

Now, exactly three and a half years later, we’re still as enamored with each other as we were when we first started dating. Sure, we’ve matured quite a bit and gotten to know each other incredibly well – he can predict my actions and reactions perfectly almost 100% of the time, and I can do the same for him. Though we no longer take dance lessons together, we’ve found we share other passions – we both love programming and food.

Son and I

This led to the creation of Sushi Day. Back in 2006, Son decided we should create a blog for me. Of course, we didn’t want to be just another blog in a sea of sameness – we wanted to be unique. He came up with the idea to blog about sushi – at the time, there were several sushi websites, but no sushi blogs. Thanks to Son being the absolute best designer and programmer I know, (Me? Biased? Of course not!) I was lucky enough to get this beautiful blog you now read.

Son and I

Almost everything I do nowadays, I do because of him. I cook because of him, I blog because of him, I code because of him. I’ve found you, all my wonderful friends all over the world, because of him. The best part is when I do something great, and he gives me that special smile – that smile that shows me just how proud of me he is, and how incredibly much he loves me. I’d do darn near anything for that smile.

Son

So today, on the 15th day of November, 2008, my dearest turns 27 years old. Happy birthday, my love, and here’s to so many more.

Son

Don’t worry, I got all the sappy love story out of my system for now. Sushi will be back tomorrow, I promise! Be sure to subscribe to the feed so you don’t miss a single sushi recipe.

Comments

1. Amy Sherman says:

Programming, food and ballroom dancing. How sweet! And very romantic. I hope you have a fabulous sushi dinner to celebrate.

Amy Sherman’s last blog post… Lunch at the Bar Room at The Modern

2. Havi Brooks (and duck) says:

Ohmygosh! That’s so so so sweet.

Happy birthday, Son! Best year ever. And keep taking good care of Allison because we adore her and need her feeling fantastic.

3. 0zymandias says:

Happy Birthday!

I don’t know you – but your girlfriend inspired me to try my hand at making sushi.
    That is certainly worth a birthday wish in my book. :-)

Have a good one!

0zy

4. Stephanie says:

Well, happy birthday to the man behind the Sushi Day curtain! From Stephanie, Matt & Alex at Dispensing Happiness…

Stephanie’s last blog post… Attack of the Pod People

5. Rai says:

You sure brought a tear to my eye, especially since I have a very similar story to say about my Love and I. Happy Birthday, Son…and here’s to MANY more wonderful years to you both. :D

6. Sadao says:

Thank you for sharing your story. You are a very sweet and romantic person.
    Son is a lucky guy to have someone who thinks so dearly of him.

7. Lara says:

Happy Birthday, Son. You’re two lucky people to have found each other and to share so many loves. Best wishes for the future. :)

8. White On Rice Couple says:

We’re both were smiling so BIG as we read every word of your post and enjoyed every single picture! I’m getting teary eyed now (can you guess which one?) because you two are just….made for each other.

We knew this the moment we met you. You are both are special…

Happy, happy, Birthday Son! You are an amazing talent. We see that from your dance pose! Hope you both have an awesome day!!! And may you celebrate many more joyous birthdays together…

9. Son says:

Thanks for all the birthday wishes and kind words, everyone! :)

10. Karen Swim says:

Awwww…that was so incredibly sweet, just like you Allison! Happy Birthday Son! I wish you many more and many years of happiness as Alli-Son. ;-)

Karen Swim’s last blog post… The Walking Wounded and Socially Fatigued

11. pete says:

so has son ever told u why he joined that ballroom dancing class? :)

12. matt wright says:

Sappy, but just very perfect. Great photos and lovely words. Happy birthday Son!

After meeting you guys, it is so obvious that you are perfect for each other, and after this little ode, it just compounds that further.

matt wright’s last blog post… Yellow fin tuna, sage oil, hibiscus salt

Thank you everyone for all your kind and sweet comments!

Pete – Let me guess… to meet girls? ;) Though his story is that he just liked Latin dance, so he figured he would do that since he was allowed to take one non-ICS class per quarter. :D

14. MARY HOSFORD says:

I was so happy to find your blog. I am new to blogs and really don’t know what i am doing. i am a sushi freak. I have numerous cook books on it and recipes. I lived in Japan for several years and got my first taste there. mmmmm! My sister-in-law is Japanese and oh boy can she make it. I lived in So. Calif. and there where many sushi places. Thanks for the recipes and by the way. Thanks for the pictures of you and Son. What a beautiful couple you are. God bless. Mary

Thanks! :)

16. We Agree – Every Day is a Sushi Day! « sushiwhore.com says:

[...] to eat sustainable seafood and listen to Hajime speak?  With open minds and open mouths, Allison Day and Son Nguyen were an absolute delight to serve. Rumor has it they had a scrumptious experience. Click here for [...]