taste-and-create-11-and-a-little-foodie-love

This month, for Taste and Create, I am paired up with Equal Opportunity Kitchen. Sometimes it’s difficult for me to figure out what I want to make from my partner’s blog, but this month it was a no brainer. The moment I saw her Pecan Pie Muffins, I knew I had to make them. Son has been a huge fan of my mother’s Pecan Pie and Pecan Tassies (little mini pecan tarts) since he first tried them, so it was obvious that I would have to make these for him.

The verdict? Everyone should make these. Took me maybe thirty minutes (including cooking time!) to whip them up, and had I allowed Son to eat them all, they would have been gone just as quickly. In fact, due to the demands of Son’s co-workers and my family, I’m going to make another batch very soon! They are sized perfectly for good portion control… that is, assuming you can eat just one. These mini treats go great with a big glass of milk.

Yay for parties!

Last night, I was very lucky to meet some of the most awesome SoCal (and Seattle!) bloggers out there. I was invited to a party hosted by Todd and Diane of White on Rice Couple, just for us food bloggers. The food was amazing, of course. I couldn’t get enough of their pork sliders, egg rolls, flatbread pizzas, several different types of salads, and ohmygod the fish! (Although no fish eyes for me. 😉 ) Not to mention that garlic cheese spread… Todd and Diane, I want that recipe! I also hear the cocktails were delicious, but neither Son nor I drink alcohol, so we stuck to water, soda, and Vietnamese coffee. (Vietnamese coffee, where have you been all my life? Oh my goodness SO GOOD.) Todd was kind enough to give us a tour of their amazing garden, which we later harvested herbs from for dinner. (Isn’t that awesome? When I grow up get a house, I want a garden like theirs.)

As great as the food was, the people at the party were even more awesome. Son and I got to meet all sorts of cool food bloggers that we hadn’t yet discovered (Yay! More food blogs to add to my feed reader!) and meet a few that we already looked up to. One of the first people we met, after Todd and Diane of course, was Brooke from Food Woolf. She is by far one of the kindest, most adorable women I have ever met. Leah from Spicy Salty Sweet was there, as were Toni from Daily Bread Journal and WC from Wandering Chopsticks. We discovered that Marvin from Burnt Lumpia and his wife know of a great sushi place in an area Son and I frequent quite often (we’ll definitely be meeting you two for sushi one of these days!) Sarah of The Delicious Life and TasteSpotting joined us, as did Julie from Julie’s Kitchen. Matt from Matt Bites (one of the sweetest guys ever) was there with his partner (I hope you two like the sushi-making kit!), as was another Matt that I have looked up to for a long time – Matt from Wright Food with his wife, Danika. You know how sometimes people just aren’t what you thought they would be when you meet them in person? Not so with Matt and Danika. They are two of the most charming people you could ever meet.

Todd and Diane were the best hosts we could possibly imagine for a food blogger party, and we all went home full of good food, satisfied, and happy. Not to mention, we all made some great new friends! Thanks so much, Todd and Diane! 😀

Comments

1. Psychgrad says:

Glad that the peacan pie muffins were a success for you. It was nice being paired with you this time around.

Psychgrad’s last blog post… Taste & Create: Spinach Dip

2. Sarah says:

saturday was a lot of fun and it was so good to meet you guys! since you’re nearby, we’ll have to get together for some sushi 😉

Sarah’s last blog post… #20143

3. Food Woolf says:

YOU are the sweetest person ever. It was just such an honor to meet you and everyone else at the party. The party was, I can honestly say, life changing.

I look forward to spending more time with you and Son.
    xoxo,
    Brooke

Food Woolf’s last blog post… Golden Phelps

4. Julie says:

I’m still on cloud 9 from the party. Wow! I never thought meeting strangers on the internet would be like a big ol’ family get together. Let’s keep the good times going. Sushi soon!

Julie’s last blog post… Honey Soy Tofu Cutlets

5. matt wright says:

The party was awesome wasn’t it! You and Son are two of the warmest, nicest people I have ever met – we had so much fun, I just wish we had got to chat to you more!

6. matt says:

it was so fantastic meeting you! And heck yea we’re going to love the sushi making kit! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Wow, what a great evening 🙂

matt’s last blog post… Best. Dinner. Party. Ever.

7. Wendi Kelly- Life's Little Inspirations says:

Allison,

It sounds like the party was a blast. And now so many new places for me to check out….I need more time in my life!!!

I am going to have to try those Pecan Pie muffins. They sound like something that would be very popular around here!

Wendi Kelly- Life’s Little Inspirations’s last blog post… Anniversary Stew

8. White On Rice Couple says:

What? Were you a virgin to Viet Iced coffee before you met us? Wow, what an honor it is to be your “first” servers of the coffee!!
    You and Son made the party extra special with your blog t-shirt enthusiasm and your sweet personalities. Thank you for coming Allison and it was so wonderful to have finally met you. See you soon.
    Big hugs to you both,
    diane & todd

Psychgrad – They were fantastic! I’ll definitely be making them again.
    Sarah – We’ll definitely have to meet up for sushi one of these days. 🙂
    Brooke – Very true… it definitely was a life changing experience getting to meet everyone there. I look forward to getting to know you better as well!
    Julie – It really was like a big family, especially with Diane putting us all to work in the kitchen. 😉 Yes, certainly sushi soon!
    Matt Wright – If you and Danika are ever in the LA area, you’ll have to let us know so we can get together! I really would love to get to know the two of you better.
    Matt – Yay! You are so very welcome, and I hope you let us know what you make with it!
    Wendi – The party was fantastic. I really wish everyone in ER lived closer together so we could do something like this… I know we would all have so much fun. Road trip to Canada? 😉
    Diane and Todd – I know, can you believe it? It’s crazy that I had never had it before. Son and I had so much fun at the party… you guys are the best hosts ever! Hugs!

10. Jenn says:

I tried the muffins and they were a hit! They were gone in one day! Plus, they were so easy I will definitely make them again!

Thanks for all your sushi insight! I have so much fun trying the recipes!

11. Thanksgiving Twofer Pie on Fridgg.com says:

[…] we’ll never use? Definitely not. However… over the summer, we were lucky enough to be invited to an awesome dinner party held by Diane and Todd of White on Rice Couple. There was a gift exchange, and we got a bottle of […]

Glad to hear you enjoyed them, and you’re welcome! 🙂

13. Chocolate Ganache on Fridgg.com says:

[…] I raved about them two years ago, when we were invited to a food blogger dinner party at their house, but Todd and […]