taste-and-create-10

It’s the 24th of the month, and as always, Taste and Create beckons. This month our palates travel to India, the country of spicy foods and crazy curry. As much as I would have loved to try some curry (and as much as Son begged for curry), unfortunately that wasn’t happening. The Ralph’s near my new apartment has a pathetic International section, and we haven’t had the time to search for ethnic supermarkets in the area. So instead, Pain Au Chocolat.

I’ve been a fan of chocolate croissants (which is essentially what these were) for quite some time. When I was doing some physics research a couple of summers ago, I used to stop by the little coffee stand right outside the building and buy a warm, flaky chocolate croissant for the bus ride home.

These croissants were actually much easier to make than I expected them to be. At first it’s a little difficult to keep the filling inside when you are rolling them, but once you get the hang of it, the rolling goes quickly.

The croissants are delicious. The chocolate filling is sweet but not too messy, and even a little salty. The only thing about the croissants that I would change would be to switch the type of oil used in them. The olive oil made them taste a little bitter to me, but it wasn’t too much of a problem because when Son took them to work, they were all eaten up.

Overall, these are delicious chocolate croissants! Perfect with a cup of coffee or tea (or even hot chocolate) for breakfast or dessert.

Comments

1. Nicole says:

Those look delicious! I have a weakness for breads, and particularly sweet breads. (Cinnamon chip scones are my all time favorite.) I’m going to have to file this one away for a special weekend treat. Thanks Allison!

Ok I have to ask: you said it was a little hard to roll at first but got easier. Did your sushi rolling skillz come into play at all that made it easier? :)

Nicole – With a few alterations (replacing the olive oil with a less bitter oil), I think you would love these. :)

Yvo – Actually, no. It was more a matter of making sure the filling didn’t all fall out the sides when I rolled it. Once I got the hang of folding the ends around so the filling was completely enclosed, then it got much easier. :)

4. bhags says:

Dear Allison,

Thanks for trying my recipe…..The rolls have come out perfect. Love the falky texture.

I made those cheese crisps of yours, but have completely missed the last date it seems……..but will surely post them

5. David says:

Son brought these into work – I’ve had two (or three?) over the past two days :) :) . Thanks, they’re good!

Also, I have a challenge for you! On my trip to England I picked up some Kendal mint cakes, but I can’t find anywhere in the US that makes them. Are you up for trying to make some confections? :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendal_mint_cake

6. Rugelach - TWD on Fridgg.com says:

[...] man, were my worries unfounded. Although I was reminded of something I had made before by the way they were rolled, the rugelach were so much better. Seriously. I ate four as soon as [...]

bhags – Thanks, they were a joy to make! :)

David – You’re very welcome! As for the Kendall Mint Cakes, they’re on my list of things to make… I’ll try making them sometime when I know I’ll be seeing you soon. :)