taste-and-create-6

Gosh, where is all the time going? I could swear I just posted the last Taste and Create… and then yesterday I realize that I only have a couple of days left until the deadline for this one! What happened? Oh yeah… big papers, finals… oh boy. Well, luckily I did remember in time! Just a hop and a skip over to Tami’s blog, Running With Tweezers and… dang. Another setback. Well, not really a huge setback, but I couldn’t decide what to make!

Her Avocado Salad with Lemon, Bacon, and Watercress looked so light and delicious (we all know I like just about anything with bacon in it :D ), the Tamified Crusty Macaroni and Cheese sounded perfect for a cold winter’s night, her Guinness Stout Brownies looked so rich and creamy (but I never have Guinness around, ever), and the Bow Tie Pasta with Fried Eggs and Cheese looked so yummy and easy! So which did I choose? None of the above. I made her Salmon Summer Rolls instead!

These were scrum-tabulous! (So it’s not a word… you know what I mean!) I’m used to using the Vietnamese rice paper wrappers quite a bit because Son’s family uses them quite a bit (yum!) and we have also gone to a seven-courses-of-beef Vietnamese restaurant and had them there (even more yum!). However, these definitely taste different than any other one I have had before! Usually, we either have beef or the most scrumptious fish that Son’s dad makes in them. So to have smoked salmon and avocado in them… definitely lighter, definitely good! I did, however, make a few changes to the recipe. I couldn’t find watercress, so I used basil instead. I know Son loves basil and eats it a lot at home, so I was sure it would go over well with him. I also used sour cream instead of the creme fraiche, because as much as I searched, there was no creme fraiche to be found at Albertson’s. Ah well… it ended up good anyways! Deeeeeeeelicious!

Oh, and sorry for the downtime last night and this morning. We were moving Sushi Day over to a new server, and it took a bit longer than expected.

Comments

OOfahtz… figure out how to send me food already, Allison… I’m flying out ot you so you can cook for me, hehe :)

:D Yeppers… you come to me, I cook for you! Sounds good to me! No idea how I would send this, short of just sending individual ingredients… dunno how the fish would fare!

3. sheri says:

Allison, that’s gorgeous! But the food you make always is! Did you say where you get the rice papers? I wasn’t sure…and I’d like to try something like this. Thanks.

4. Lara says:

The purple is onion right? I want to make summer rolls but wanted to try the traditional style with cellophane noodles, bean sprouts, shrimp and mint/basil. How long do you soak your rice papers? After my experiences with thai rice stick for pad thai, I don’t trust the instructions on the packages. As to the creme fraiche, there was a make your own version with whipping cream and buttermilk or something that I saw on a show on Food Network but can’t find on line.

Sheri – Thanks! I got the rice papers at my local Albertson’s. If you live near a Vietnamese community, then they are probably cheaper there. Or, you could go to Vietnam, where I hear they are even cheaper! :D Hehe just kidding about that last part, but seriously, try the Asian section of your local grocery market first.

Lara – Yep! All I do for the rice paper is dip it in warm water until it is completely wet on both sides (a quick dip, just make sure the whole thing gets wet or else you will get hard spots!) and then put it on a plate and let it rest a little while I get the ingredients together. Yeah, I’m sure you could make your own creme fraiche, but I didn’t have time, so I didn’t. You could though! I’m not sure of a recipe though, but there are probably some online!

Smoked salmon lasts! Hahaha I’m just teasing. We’ll find a way to hang out some day and you cook, I’ll pack the stuff into bento and we’re all happy?

I’m thinking a trip to SF is in order, but that’s kind of far from you I think…

True, although the avocado might brown a lot and the sour cream might spoil… ick. Hehe. Yep, me cooking and you bento-ing sounds like a fantastic idea!

Yeah, SF is about 6-8 hours north of me (driving) or maybe an hour flying? I would love to meet you up north, but, well, with school and figuring out what on earth I’m doing once I graduate, I have a feeling that a trip isn’t about to happen anytime soon. Oh well, if you are ever in the LA/OC/SD area of California, let me know and we’ll hang out! I’ll make you sushi! Happiness all around! :D

8. For the Love of Food » Taste&Create VIII - T&C March Round-Up says:

[...] from Sushi Day blogged about Running with Tweezers’ Salmon Summer Rolls. Allison says “Delightfully light and almost like rolling [...]

9. Carla says:

Allison,

I just saw your comment on IttyBiz and I was SO excited to see your web site topic in your link.

Just last weekend I decided I wanted to try making sushi and didn’t know where to start. Whoo Hoo!

I want a cute bento box too. Not that I need one since I work at home, but I want one!

Hi Carla, welcome! Hopefully you’ll find a lot of good advice here! Let me know what kind of sushi you end up making!

I completely understand about the bento box… I don’t have an office to bring it to, but I want one too! I have a friend who makes bento for lunch every day and posts about it on her blog, and also posts stuff about where she finds her bento boxes. You can find her blog here. Also, try going to Japanese supermarkets like Mitsuwa or Marukai… they usually have fun bento boxes!