taste-and-create-5

It’s that time again! Yep, that’s right, it’s time for Taste and Create V!! This month, I was paired up with Karina from The Floured Apron. She is a very new food blogger as she has only been posting for two months (!) but nonetheless it was very easy for me to find several recipes I wanted to try out. Her Creme Brulee looks delicious, but I don’t think I have any dishes that are oven safe, so I didn’t want to risk exploding bowls. :P I really really REALLY wanted to try her Perogi, but I didn’t have very much time, so I’m putting those off until later. I’ll definitely be making them eventually though! Yum. I love perogi. Anyways, I ended up making her Crab Rangoon. It’s super easy to make… all you have to do is mix the ingredients together, stuff the wontons, and then fry or bake them!

I think her version would be really great, but I made a few changes just out of convenience and personal preferences. For example, instead of a can of crab, I used a package of imitation crab, just because I almost always have it in the fridge/freezer. What? So I like my sushi… you knew that! :P I at least doubled the amount of green onions, just because we really like our green onions. :D I also baked them in my roommate’s toaster oven. I brushed both sides of them with melted butter, baked them for 10 minutes at 350 degrees, then flipped them and baked them for 5 more minutes. They definitely would have been crisper if we had fried them, but they turned out delicious just the same! Hehe so I was lazy. :P

These would be perfect for a Super Bowl party (which by the way, is exactly what Karina made them for!) The men love them! Seriously… when I was baking them I did it in about three batches, and every batch Son took at least two of them to eat! And then I put them in a bag and he took the rest of them to work… and they didn’t come home! Hehe Son LOVED these!

Comments

1. sushi fan says:

Trader Joes was/is selling a decent frozen Creme Brulee for around $3-4. It is Very easy to prepare and a nice treat. I augmented mine with a bit more raw sugar and a bit more post-oven blowtorching.

One neat thing about the package is that it includes two oven safe ceramic dishes for your own culinary adventures… Though making Creme Brulee looks like a bit of work and I haven’t tried yet (I tend to focus on my entrees).

I’ve been wanting to try making Pierogi for a long time… Maybe I’ll finally give it a shot with that easy recipe. Though with Chinese wonton wrappers they might be ‘Chirogi’… Funny how stuffed dumplings are similar and so multi-cultural.

Ooooh I’ll have to check that out! I adore Trader Joe’s… they have really good banana chocolate-chip muffins! Yum… I definitely have to look into getting a blowtorch eventually.

3. Nicisme says:

These look very tempting indeed! Haven’t had them in years, might have to give them a go now….!

4. Brett Legree says:

Hi Allison – I figured I’d better stop in at your place and say hello, because it is so very cool, and I thought it appropriate to come and say it here in addition to saying it at MwP… :)

I’m looking at this particular recipe and thinking, “hmm, I should make these for my wife”. I think she would really like them and I would be a popular guy around the house if I did that.

I’ll have to have a good look around and make a list from your site – maybe I can do a whole dinner party for a few of her friends. I’m sure I’d earn myself a new laptop or something for that!

Thanks again – this is a really neat blog – Brett

5. White On Rice Couple says:

This is an event we have not heard about. Thanks for sharing!
    BTW- our first cooking video is up!

Nicisme – They are delicious! Really easy to make too… so go make some! :D

Brett – Thanks for visiting! I’ll bet she would love it… us girls always love it when you guys cook for us! Hehe. Thanks! :D

White On Rice Couple – It’s a lot of fun… and I for one would definitely love to make something from your blog! Your video is adorable, and the food looks delicious! :D

7. For the Love of Food » Taste&Create VII - T&C February Round-Up says:

[...] from Sushi Day blogged about The Floured Apron’s Crab Rangoon. Allison says “Perfect for a game day snack, and so easy, you’ll be watching the game [...]

8. Chic Girl says:

OMG! I just found your blog and I love it! I’m going to put a link to you on my blog. Awesome!

9. Karina Facciolo-Moore says:

I’m glad you liked these! Looks like they turned out great in the toaster oven.

Chic Girl – Awesome! Thanks!

Karina – They were delicious! Fantastic recipe! :)

11. Lara says:

sushi fan … creme brulee is SO easy to make that it’s almost laughable, IMHO. It’s just an egg custard in a water bath. The hardest/most challenging part is the bruleeing and if you have a blowtorch, that’s not an issue. I use my broiler. If you want my recipe (I use half regular milk and half whipping cream but you can use all whipping), let me know.

12. Sushi Recipes says:

Nice article,
    I love Sushi, so much so that I taught myself to make it. Basically I make vegetarian sushi—either California with avocado or Philly with cream cheese or sushi with cooked seafood which has its own special name —it escapes me at the moment. The seafood is cooked shrimp; and tuna or salmon which has been mixed with a little wasabi paste and light mayo.

Lara – I don’t know about sushi fan, but I would definitely love to have your creme brulee recipe if you are willing to share! :)

Sushi Recipes – Thanks! Perhaps you are speaking of the Volcano Roll?

14. Lara says:

Here’s the creme brulee recipe I talked about. Sorry for the delay. We had a winter storm last night. :( It’s not very complicated but I added lots of notes in case there are novices reading the recipe. Hopefully this answers all possible questions.

Vanilla Creme Brulée (makes 4 large or 6 small servings)

6 large egg yolks
    6 tablespoons sugar
    1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise (or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract)
    1 1/2 cups whipping cream (sub in 1/2 c whole milk or half milk and half cream)

6 teaspoons granulated sugar (or 8-12 teaspoons packed brown sugar).

Preheat oven to 325°F.

Whisk yolks and 6 tablespoons sugar in medium bowl to blend. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean. Gradually whisk the cream into the sugar. Divide mixture among 6 x 3/4 cup custard cups or ramekins. Arrange dishes in 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Pour enough hot water into pan to come halfway up sides of dishes.

Bake custards approximately 35-40 minutes until the custard is set. Do not overbake or your custard will be rubbery. Remove the pan from the oven and remove custard cups from the water. Allow custards to cool before placing in the refrigerator. Chill overnight.

NOTE: I scalded the cream in the microwave in a pyrex measuring cup for 2 min at high, then whisked it into egg mixture gradually. Then, strained the results back into the measuring cup for pouring into ramekins. Baking time reduced to 25 min as a result. This is useful if you want to steep grated ginger, cardamom flavoured tea bags or some other flavourings in the milk/cream mixture to jazz up the plain vanilla creme brulee.

Two hours before serving:
    Preheat broiler. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon sugar atop each custard. Place dishes on small baking sheet. Broil until sugar just starts to caramelize, rotating sheet for even browning, about 2 minutes. Chill until caramelized sugar hardens, about 2 hours.

Flan/Creme Caramel Variation
    Melt 1/3 c sugar and a tablespoon of water in a small, heavy bottomed saucepan at med/med-high heat til the mixture just turns a light golden-brown. It will keep cooking in your pan as you distribute the caramel among the ramekins. Pour a tablespoon or so of the caramelized sugar in each of the ramekins. You just want a thin layer on the base. Adding too thick a layer means that much of it will remain on the base of the ramekin as it won’t melt into that liquidy base.

Follow the rest of the recipe as for creme brulee pouring the custard mixture over the hardened caramel.

To serve, run a knife around the edge and turn over onto a plate. You may want to dip the base of the flan into a bowl of hot water to help the caramel melt and loosen.

Oh cool, I didn’t know I could bake something like that… it’s almost like your cheese age! I will have to try that. Yum!

Lara – Sounds delicious! I’ll definitely have to try that once I have some ramekins or other dishes that I’m sure won’t burst in the oven. :)

Yvo – Yeah, you could probably prepare the cheese age the same way! Of course, it always tastes better fried, but it’s probably much better for your health this way! :D