happy-1st-birthday-sushi-day

Happy 1st Birthday to Sushi Day!! The website is officially one year old. πŸ™‚ It’s also National Sushi Day (seriously!) so of all days, definitely have some sushi today!

So my big surprise… the Sushi Day shirts are here!!! Yeah, I know the poll was like 5 months ago, but we had some problems figuring out a design, then finding someone to do the design for us (I’m no good at designs, believe me!). We got my brother to do it by offering to pay him (he’s at the age where he jumps at the idea of getting paid to do something he enjoys!), but then he went and got sick right in the middle of doing our designs!! How rude, I know. πŸ˜› Once he got over the first hospital stay, he finally was able to finish them for us, but then I had to trace them on my computer… which with my schedule, takes a while. Plus we had to think of a saying… luckily my sister is the absolute wittiest person I have ever met, so she came up with three options for me in 10 minutes. πŸ˜€

I really wanted to have them available for purchase today… but I seriously finished the images 10 minutes ago. If you have any suggestions for them, it will probably be a day or two before we send them in for production, so if you have any suggestions feel free to comment or email me with them. Hopefully we will be able to get them and have them available for you to purchase by the end of the month. I’m not sure how much they are going to cost yet… that will depend on how much we have to pay for them.

So… let me know how you like them! And if you absolutely hate them, let me know what you think would be a better shirt design! If these do well enough, maybe we can add another shirt design someday. πŸ™‚

Comments

1. Laureen Constantino says:

Here’s a useless feedback πŸ˜‰ :I personally like the first design better but I think that this shirt advertise your site. Maybe combine the text from both versions?

The first one is the front of the shirt, the second is the design for the back of the shirt. πŸ™‚ Does that help?

3. Karianne says:

Wohooo! Happy birthday, Sushi Day!!

And – very cool t-shirts. I just made a post about the looks of Fugu just yesterday. They are adorable. Let us know when they will be for sale. I want one! πŸ™‚

4. Ralph Whitbeck says:

Did a little digging into National Sushi Day and here is the reason why it is today. Very Interesting: “Why this day? It marks the first day of the season where the new rice crop arrives, the fish are plump, the air is clear, and the sky is high, to prepare for the hungry season.”

5. Happy SushiDay!! at Sushi or Death says:

[…] “National Sushi Day” – which nation we are talking about, I am not sure. According to a comment made by Ralph on SushiDay, November 1 “marks the first day of the season where the new rice crop arrives, […]

6. l3utterfish says:

Happy birthday!!!
    REading your blog an making sushi a lot with your recipes.

Thank you Allison.

Happy birthday to Sushi Day!!! Unfortunately I got your comment too late πŸ™ and will not be able to eat sushi today… but it’s been way too long since I had any! I LOVE the t-shirt, it’s sooooo adorable! I can’t wait to get one! Is it through Cafe Press you’ll be doing them or otherwise? <3

Karianne – Thanks! I will definitely let everyone know when the T-shirts are available for purchase… although it might take a little longer for those of you outside of the U.S…. I have to figure out shipping and everything (anyone know anything about international shipping?

Ralph – Thanks for the research! πŸ™‚ I should have done that myself… but time is in such short supply lately!

l3utterfish – Thanks! Glad to hear much sushi-making is being done! πŸ™‚

Yvo – Awww… well then at least have some this week! πŸ˜€ I plan on doing the shirts through Acme Prints. It’s super difficult to find someone who has the right shirt color, but they will be able to do it on some really nice American Apparel shirts (although I still have to finalize everything and place the orders). They seem pretty cool to work with too, but I’ll let you know how that goes once we get the shirts. πŸ˜€

9. Ulysses says:

Lovely! And it passed really quick, since I’ve been reading Sushi Day from the very beginning. Congratulations!

From my buying experience, there are some kinds of international shipping. The most common are Standard International (USPS standard international delivery) and Express Mail International (USPS expedited and trackable international delivery). The first one is about $7 and the other about $26 (but you can track it and it’s faster). Anyway, I’d buy one!

10. Cory OBrien says:

Happy Birthday! I’ve loved every day of it, and I can’t wait to see what’s coming.

Keep it rolling!

Ulysses – Thanks so much! That’s really good to know about the international shipping rates… I’m considering letting the buyer choose which they would prefer, but of course, I’m still trying to work out all the kinks with selling them, so we’ll see. πŸ™‚

Cory – Thanks so much! One year down, and since I plan to keep Sushi Day up for a while, many more to come! πŸ˜€

12. PekoPeko says:

Hi there Allison,

I just happened upon your site via epi log, great content, thanks!

Son makes a good website too!

I look forward to trying some of your recipes.

PekoPeko

Thanks so much! Yes he does. πŸ™‚ Have fun making sushi!

14. Mellie says:

Congrats on your one year ^__^ I love checking up on this site! Your tamago recipe has created a new favorite meal for my roommate and I!

Thanks so much! πŸ™‚ I’m so glad you enjoy the recipes!

16. Megan says:

Thanks for the wonderful site! Happy Birthday!

American Apparel shirts are super nice (my company uses them for our “uniforms”) but they run really small! I wear an XL in AA and a small/medium in anything else. Makes ordering tricky, but they’re worth it. So comfy and made here in the US!

Thanks! Yeah I noticed that too when we went to try them on. When I have the shirts available to order, I’ll probably try to include some sort of sizing chart so people can find what size will fit them best. πŸ™‚

18. Kristen says:

*dances gleefully around*
    I have a shirt!

See!
    There are benefits to being related to Allison!

And I would definitely recommend them, as they are super comfy (and they look cool too!)

What, there weren’t benefits to being related to me before the shirts? I may just be offended! πŸ˜› Well, I’m glad you like it!

20. Γ¦β€”Β₯本èΒͺΕΎ Γ£ΒΒ©Γ£Ββ€œΓ£ΒΒ§ ? says:

Sorry to be the guy to say this, but….ummm….

Am I the only one to see the irony that these shirts have absolutely NO Japanese on them whatsoever.

Of course…the “modern” day sushi was actually a “Japanese-American” idea…but the very first “sushi” was of course authentically Japanese.
    Honor the creators of this here foodstuff next “Sushi Day”…and bestow upon these fine woven articles the language of “Nippon”.