One of my fantastic readers, Tim, sent me this article which is a bit of a follow up to my recent Fraudulent Fish post. Apparently, there have been shipments of puffer fish to several states in the US that were mislabeled as monkfish. This led to several people getting sick and even having to go to the hospital because they were so ill, because puffer fish contains a potentially lethal toxin called tetrodotoxin. Unfortunately this toxin is not destroyed by freezing or cooking, so if you have any monkfish contact your retailer and ask them if it was imported from China by Hong Chang Corp. If it was, or if you have any doubts, throw it out! As always, I wouldn’t want any of my wonderful readers falling ill from mislabeled fish!
You also might like...
- Japan Day 9: Goodbye Tokyo, Hello Kyoto!
- Happy Birthday Son! (Honda-Ya Review)
- “Beef” and Broccoli Maki
- Japan Loves Its Cows
- Fraudulent Fish!