thank-you-mochi

Mochi is a sweet rice cake, sometimes with red beans inside, sometimes flavored. It is a Japanese dessert, and seen as good luck for the New Year. I know this isn’t a recipe, and obviously not sushi, but I thought I would introduce you to some Japanese food that you can have with sushi. πŸ™‚ I have loved mochi ever since I was child, because it’s soft, a little gooey, but not too sweet! Yummmmmm! (I know you wanna try some!)

I usually buy mochi at either Marukai or Mitsuwa. If you don’t live near either of them, you can probably buy some at any Japanese supermarket or bakery (actually most Asian supermarkets carry them, but they probably won’t be called mochi – I have seen them at Chinese supermarkets and Vietnamese bakeries before.)

If anyone has a recipe for mochi (or manju), I would love to try making some! I already have some mochiko (rice flour) all ready to go, I just need a recipe! (It’s practically impossible to find a real mochi or manju recipe online!)

Also, thanks so much to Lifehacker for featuring us on the front page last Thursday, and to everyone else who mentioned us on their blogs! You all make me so happy! πŸ˜€ Stay tuned for a lot more sushi…!!!

P.S. If anyone has any ideas for wild sushi combinations that you want me to make (or an article you want me to write), leave me a comment and I’ll let you know when I make and post your sushi ideas!! The crazier the sushi recipe, the better!

Comments

1. Ralph Whitbeck says:

I would love to see how to make Japanese Mayo…for spicy rolls like Spicy Tuna, etc.

Thanks for the feedback, Ralph! I will definitely look into that!

3. Lana says:

Allison, your page is wonderful! And it’s inspired me to make more sushi! Keep this amazing blog up, I am thoroughly enjoying it!

4. slackdog says:

My favorite way to make Japanese Mayo is with Sriracha sauce and some finely minced green onion…

5. Greg B says:

I’ve loved mochi since I first had them with my mother in 1994. I’ve had green and white dough covering the sweet bean pastes and here in Phoenix I’ve had ice cream filled mochi.

Love your blog BTW! It’s heaven sent!

Lana – Thanks so much! It’s nice to know I have inspired you! πŸ™‚ Plenty more sushi on the way!
    slackdog – Ooh thanks for the tip! I will definitely try that out!
    Greg – Oh yum! Isn’t ice cream mochi heavenly? My favorite kind is the chocolate, with little pieces of chocolate in the ice cream. Yum yum yum! Hehe now I want to go get some! I’m glad you like the blog! πŸ˜€

7. Laureen says:

mmmm.. mochi goodness

Laureen – I agree!

9. Krist says:

I love red bean mochi! I love red bean anything! Must.. have… red bean.

Krist – I agree! Red bean mochi is wonderful! πŸ™‚

11. Hypolyta says:

Here’s the simplest receipe I have found:

Mochi

1 Cup Mochiko Sweet Rice Flour (Glutinous Rice Flour)
    1 Cup Water
    Γƒβ€šΓ‚ΒΌ Cup Sugar
    Katakuriko Flour (for dusting) [Optional: Matcha Powder]

1. Mix Mochiko flour, sugar & Matcha powder in a bowl.
    2. Add boiling water to dry mixture, stirring thoroughly.
    3. Cool for a few minutes. Cut & Serve.

4. For filling: Dust mochi with Katakuriko or Kinako to prevent mochi from sticking everywhere. If you don’t have these, you can just put the mochi on cellophane.
    6. Variations for Filling: You can add red bean paste, ice cream, chocolate, etc. in the middle if you want BEFORE you dust. Add a teaspoon of filling and pinch edges closed.
    * Variations for Dough: Add a few drops of food coloring into batter for color variation. A few drops of flavoring (strawberry, grape, orange, blueberry, etc.) may also be added. >> For chocolate flavor, stir about 1/4 cup melted chocolate chips into mochi batter before cooking.

12. Andrea says:

I just LOVE mochi! We have Mango flavored Mochi icecream in our fridge at all times. lol

Hypolyta – Thanks so much! I think I can manage that recipe, I’ll try it then get back to you about how it turns out! πŸ™‚
    Andrea – πŸ™‚ Son really likes the mango mochi ice cream too!

14. Katie Mac says:

I have been waiting for someone to talk about the correct way of using a sushi knife. THANKS!

15. craig says:

Orange Mochi, now that’s a flavor I never heard of,, but it sounds delicious. I have been craving a treat and I think I just found it!! thank you so so so much!!

16. Audrey says:

Yummy!! Im so glad they are opening a new Japanese place like right down the road from my aprtment! Love Mochi! Mmm!

Katie – Glad I could be of help!

Craig – Orange mochi is the flavor I get the most… it’s delicious. πŸ˜€